Intangibility Defense For Brawlers And Tanks

Echo 6

Intangibility Defense For Brawlers And Tanks

Postby Echo 6 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi Everyone! Just found out about this game last week and this is my first post. City of Heroes was my first and only MORPG that I really could sink my teeth into. Which makes the discovery of Ship of Heroes one that has had me smiling for days.

Anyway, I have been reading several of the threads on the board here and I have not seen this topic brought up yet. But can there be/can we have an Intangibility Defensive Power Set for Scrappers and Tanks in game?

My main character in COH had to always RP this ability and it worked out to varying degrees but with this fresh start on a Superhero RPG it would be amazing if Intangibility could be added. I am not a game developer myself but I thought of one way that it could possibly work in game and I was hoping someone could take a look:

Intangible Defense

-Shift: By toggling this power you become partially out of phase boosting your defense to melee attacks. (Toggle: Res(Confuse, DEF Debuff), Self +DEF(Melee))

-Bend: By toggling this power you become partially out of phase boosting your defense to ranged attacks. (Toggle: Res(DEF Debuff) Self +DEF(Ranged))

-Focused: Due to your training you are always on the look out to incoming attacks allowing you to subconsciously phase when being attacked in melee range. (Auto: +Res DEF Debuff, + Res (All DMG) Self +DEF(Melee))

-Aware: Through rigors practice you are now more aware of your surroundings allowing you to instinctively phase through incoming ranged attacks. (Auto: +Res DEF Debuff, +Res (All DMG) Self +DEF(Ranged))

-Incorporeal: Shifting your body into a phased state you have become harder to get a hold of. (Click: Self +Res (Hold, Sleep?, Immobilize, Knockback ect. -Foe Acc)

-Evasive: Do to the intense training of your powers you are now more at ease with phasing in and out of synch, thereby allowing you to phase through most types of attacks without concentrating. (Auto: Res(All DMG), DEF Debuff +Self +DEF(AoE))

-Phaser: You have almost mastered your passing ability and by doing so you now are able to phase through area of effect attacks. (Toggle: Res(DEF Debuff) Seft+ DEF(AoE) )

-Untouchable: You have now mastered your Intangibility power allowing you to pass through almost any attack. The rush from using this ability has increased your stamina(?) recovery for a short time and allows you to attack more often. You are also now completely translucent and harder to see. Using this power takes a great deal of focus therefor when Untouchable wears off you are left drained of your stamina(?) and unable to recover for a short time. (Click: -Foe Acc, Self +DEF(Melee, Ranged, AoE), +Res(DEF Debuff), +Recovery, +Recharge))

The descriptions can use a little work but the idea behind the set as a whole is that you are attacking while shifting in and out of phase for the role playing aspect of the game. Similar to how Kitty Pryde, from the X-Men, combines her powers with her marital arts training.

I could go into more detail about the individual powers would look and work in game. However, I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on adding this in game and if the Dev’s would be interested in bringing adding it in.

I really hope this gets considered. It would be amazing to play again where I can fully bring my main character to life for the first time.

Echo 6

Re: Intangibility Defense For Brawlers And Tanks

Postby Echo 6 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Just realized that I should explain something about the Untouchable and Incorporeal powers...

The - Foe Accuracy is mean that the foe you are targeting gets a Accuracy Def Buff. So it add's a little support to you and your team while still boosting you in game.

The inspiration from that comes from comics with Martian Manhunter, Vision, and again Kitty Pryde. They all use their ability often time to jump out of a wall or from the floor throwing the bad guy off his aim for a target. So adding this effect could create some interesting situations in a group setting while giving the Brawler or Tank some needed utility.

Hope everything else is clear...

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 pm

I love the idea. My only question, from an RP standpoint, is how effective this character could really be at holding aggro. Great for a scrapper type, not so much for a tank IMHO.
"Ignore my team, fight ME!"
"ok ok we are fighting y... wait, where did he go? ok back to fighting his team I guess"
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Also, welcome aboard :D

Echo 6

Postby Echo 6 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:35 pm

I love the idea. My only question, from an RP standpoint, is how effective this character could really be at holding aggro. Great for a scrapper type, not so much for a tank IMHO.
"Ignore my team, fight ME!"
"ok ok we are fighting y... wait, where did he go? ok back to fighting his team I guess"
Thank You!

My thoughts behind this is that the character(you) would still be fighting and thereby keeping the villains aggro. The character from a RP stand point is "phasing" in and out through out the whole battle. Hitting the bad guy, then phasing, again, and again.

This also explains why the character isn't completely invincible as well. Since you are phasing in and out the character isn't always going to perfectly predict when to phase next, making it so the villain gets lucky every now and again. Which is why I thought making it a Defense heavy set would work best, due to the character avoiding most of the damage instead of taking them and being resistant to them.

Hope that answers your question and makes sense.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:52 pm

I love that you have such a clear vision that you're not phased by someone questioning it. I think this would be really fun to play, and I usually hate melee :)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:30 pm

This is an interesting idea. We're debating it here right now. :)

Dezzer

Postby Dezzer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:04 pm

I could see this being a great concept not only for a tank archetype but perhaps even a stalker in the future where it's got that high focus on dodge/resist rather than taking the blunt of the damage. Great idea and welcome to the ship!
Some will say the glass is half full,
Others will say the glass is half empty,
I say just give me the drink! Cheers!

Echo 6

Postby Echo 6 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:06 pm

I love that you have such a clear vision that you're not phased by someone questioning it. I think this would be really fun to play, and I usually hate melee :)
Thank you! And I don't mind questioning at all! That's how the greatest things get made and improved on. Besides that I am just happy someone responded to my post to talk about it some with me lol :D
This is an interesting idea. We're debating it here right now. :)
Woot! Even it being discussed in house has me pumped. :D

*Fingers Crossed*

Return to “Ask the Devs”