Eight is Great

Ravynwynd

Eight is Great

Postby Ravynwynd » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:06 pm

To our Heroic Devs!

/salute

While reviewing one of your 2017 videos, there was a small reminiscent conversation about teaming up.

This got me to thinking.

How many of you loved joining a Team in City of Heroes?

I know I loved those 8 member teams.

Will the Devs make sure to have 8 member teams? Or will we have the standard issue 5 member team?

Dying Breath

Re: Eight is Great

Postby Dying Breath » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:57 pm

According to the main site, the plan is for up to eight people per team, although I also remember a plan for up to 10 players - this may have been mentioned officially in one or more of the video interviews done last year. The forum search function is... less than optimal, but here is a roundabout quote that mentions 10-player teams.

So... bottom line is that the plan is for more than 5.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:53 pm

AFAIK, it will be 10 man teams...
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Ravynwynd

Postby Ravynwynd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:15 am

AFAIK, it will be 10 man teams...
HUZZAH!!

Dirtsleeper

Postby Dirtsleeper » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:44 am

As a Dev working on the teaming, we are currently coding it for a maximum of 10 members. However, this does not indicate that the maximum team size when we launch will be 10, it could be smaller.
Ship of Heroes Programmer

gemini

Postby gemini » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:07 pm

larger teams are what really made the "anything works" groups go, imo. 2 controllers and 6 scrappers? no problem. 8 defenders? sure whatever.

I miss the large scale teamups of COH and i'm glad this is a thing here too

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:14 am

Strictly speaking, I should say that the plan is for teams of up to ten, where enemies scale with more players. So 6, 7, and 9 player teams will also be possible.

I've discovered that I should make these points -- people ask me otherwise "what if I have 9 players and can't find a 10th?"

And I should also note that almost everyone plays at least some of their time as a team of one. I know I do. The trick is to find a way to make all of the options fun. :)

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:22 am

I think one thing that made larger team work in CoH was the overall friendly atmosphere of the player base. Realistically, the larger your team, the larger the risk of trouble if you don't stick with RL friends. This can range from griefers who provoke a team wipe just for the LOL, to the more benign moochers who play while doing something else and spend much of the mission AFK on autofollow / autoassist or even parked by the entrance, perhaps conveniently having something come up in RL every mission.

CoH had overall very little of such trouble, especially of the worst sort. (There was some mooching, but not more than we could live with.) So pickup groups were generally fun even with lots of people. I enjoyed the creative chaos of having half a dozen heroes and a similar number of henchmen barge in on an army of undead or some other massive threat, and being able to trust your team mates with using their powers and skills to the fullest with only a rough strategy to go by. As Ship of Heroes is specializing in the same atmosphere of cooperation, having it as the guiding principle, I think it might actually be possible (and glorious) to run with large teams. Plus we are not starting from scratch, a significant fraction of the early players will likely be CoH veterans.

But another factor is the way CoH allowed most archetypes to be flexible and viable in a range of different situations. There was not a strong focus on the "trinity" of tank, healer and damage dealer. Certainly those existed, but there was a massive overlap and a wider range of support and control. It was also possible for a balanced solo character to join a team and still contribute effectively, for instance scrappers and brutes could go on and off teams seamlessly. This is something that will be hard to design, but I am sure the devs will keep an eye on this aspect as well.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:01 pm

I think it also helped that CoH wasn't as "hardcore" about needing levels and to advance - thanks to side-kicking you didn't need to "keep up" with your friends or other SG members to be able to team, and I think that meant the whole game felt less stressed and pressured. Which in turn led to a massive reduction in the amount of toxicity amongst the players.

Obviously it's not just that one thing, but I do feel like the "need to succeed" in many other multiplayer games makes people a lot less tolerant and forgiving.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Itlandm

Postby Itlandm » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:38 pm

Yes, I am kind of shocked that sidekicking did not become universal to all MMORPGs, the way instancing did. It is so obviously beneficial to gameplay that you'd expect them to twist the lore as much as needed to allow it in some form. I take for granted at least that all the Successors will have this, either individual or group sk / reverse sk. I don't remember if SoH has individual or group sidekicking, but I'll assume the latter if I don't hear otherwise.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:12 am

would it be too unrealistic or greedy to say 12 ;)?
I don´t know but I just like the number :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:28 pm

On the subject of team size. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. But can we not have missions/TFs/etc.that require a specific number of characters on the team? So if we want to try with fewer than the recommended number of teammates we can go for it? 😃
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:49 pm

They are planning to have a minimum for group mandatory content, but no word what the minimum will be. In CoH, for most TF's you needed at least 6 to start, but I've started many a TF that we finished with two or three players.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:07 pm

On the subject of team size. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. But can we not have missions/TFs/etc.that require a specific number of characters on the team? So if we want to try with fewer than the recommended number of teammates we can go for it? 😃
agreed. if I want to try and solo a TF that is recommended for a team of 8 I have nobody to blame but myself if I can't do it, but I think it should be an option to allow me to do so. maybe a warning...

*** WARNING: It is recommended that this task-force have a team size of 8, you however are on a team of 1, and will die a pathetic death many times over ***

Do you wish to start the task-force? Y/N
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:32 pm

A lot of players solo'd TFs by starting a team and having everyone but two on the team quit - usually a mule the one player is trying to level. They would drag them into the mission and then do the mission themselves. Usually the mule character had some form of TP and resurrect, so if the main did die, he had options...

Return to “Ask the Devs”