Will Positioning matter?

Dezzer

Will Positioning matter?

Postby Dezzer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 pm

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I couldn’t find anything on it. I was watching the combat alpha videos, which look great by the way, and noticed most players would always attack the mobs from the front after the pull. It looked like Sword Blossom would occasionally try and position behind the mob sometimes. Will certain abilities only be available to use from the side or back of an enemy, or will there be any benefits from attacking from the side or back? Maybe perhaps extra damage or less chance of an attack being dodged, blocked, etc. or even a chance for higher crits.
Some will say the glass is half full,
Others will say the glass is half empty,
I say just give me the drink! Cheers!

Odee

Re: Will Positioning matter?

Postby Odee » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:42 am

Do you mean like Flanking a target for better hit odds?
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Dezzer

Postby Dezzer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:11 am

Sure. Better hitting odds, higher chance for a crit, etc. Most mmo’s have mechanics where the Tank will pull aggro on a boss and then turn it so the back faces the team or some melee abilities cannot be used from the front and must be performed from a side flank or back even.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 am

Right now positioning does not matter. I've played a few games where there was a boost in damage from an attack beginning from behind, and we have the capability to code that, but right now we are building the basic game. Even in COH I think only stalkers had a positioning impact, didn't they?

Odee

Postby Odee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:50 am

Right now positioning does not matter. I've played a few games where there was a boost in damage from an attack beginning from behind, and we have the acapability to code that, but right now we are building the basic game. Even in COH I think only stalkers had a positioning impact, didn't they?
"All things in their time." said someone famous that is paraphrased here. 👍👍
Rah-rah Ree! Kick 'em in the Knee!
Rah-rah Rose! Punch 'em in the Nose!
Rah-rah Ralls! Kick 'em in the other Knee!

Dezzer

Postby Dezzer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:20 am

Right now positioning does not matter. I've played a few games where there was a boost in damage from an attack beginning from behind, and we have the acapability to code that, but right now we are building the basic game. Even in COH I think only stalkers had a positioning impact, didn't they?
I believe stalkers had a higher crit boost, triple or double if I’m not mistaken damage wise if their initial attack was used while hidden, but not so much as to positioning. Thanks for the response Consultant! Although not game breaking I think it adds a little flavor to gameplay. 😀

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Stalker boosts were gained from having the Hidden flag active, and I think that later they gained crit chances from being near allies. The idea was, I think, that the allies distract the mobs giving the Stalker a chance to catch the mob unawares. So in a way, positioning did matter, but not with regards to facing... rather, with regards to proximity of allies.

Return to “Ask the Devs”