Single or Multi-Server

JestersGhost

Single or Multi-Server

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:14 am

Just curious if y'all have decided on this yet?

I'd love SoH to be single-server - frustrating to have to create a new character on a different server just to be able to play with a friend, or join a certain SG.

Though obviously technically it's a bit more difficult, and it makes name reservation even more of a thorny issue.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Codex

Re: Single or Multi-Server

Postby Codex » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:26 am

I was thinking of this too. If one of the Kickstarter benefits is name reservation, does it gives us that name on one server or all servers if this will be a multi-server game.
aka Backer 68

broxen

Postby broxen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:48 am

I think I read somewhere, or heard on a podcast that it was one server.

If not one server, maybe they'll do some kind of hybrid like The Secret World, where the servers are all connected and you can visit other servers to play with friends. In a setting of infinite parallel dimensions, this could be hand waved away.
-Broxen

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:07 pm

I cant see there being a need for more than one server at the early stages, once it picks up we will probably see more appear to balance the load

Solari

Postby Solari » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:55 am

Hopefully if it's single server, they will locate it on the east coast to save those of us in Europe from suffering too much. :)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:05 am

We prefer a single server, since this means the game has one culture and one community, not one for each server. But in part this is driven by technology and by the number of players at a point well after launch. so we have to wait and see, a bit. But our strong preference is for one server.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 am

IF DCUO can very capably run a single mega server for PC PvE and another for Xbox PvE, each with well over 100,000 users, I think it may be a while before a second server is needed.

When STO went to mega server, they were running one mega-server for over 300,000 clients, and that was back in 2010. The tech has had 7 years to mature, which is an eon ago in computer time!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:46 pm

100K... 300K peeps running around WOW ..... i can't even imagine that many ......

in the intern filler game waiting for SOH to come out .... I'll log into DCUO and wow i think 100 toon's running round the police station is a lot.......
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Return to “Ask the Devs”