Character Names

indigowulf

Character Names

Postby indigowulf » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:48 am

I know it's been brought up before, but I don't think an official answer was ever given- uniqueness of names.. If I name myself indigowulf, will someone else be able to name themselves indigowulf as well? (hope not, I'd have to fight them, and I hate PvP)

Not discussed before as far as I can tell- will we be allowed to use characters in our names? I know a lot of places ban anything attached to number keys. Which is really inconvenient if you want to make an Irish character named O'Dohrtey. Will SoH allow ' ? Will it allow numbers and letters and special characters and all caps/alternating caps? While I'd love to be able to make O'Dohrtey (or see one in game) I'd hate to see L33+ AwEsOmE as a name running around. Also, I'd hate to see anyone named "Hitler" or "UR m0m Gey" like I see in other games.

Are there plans for settings rules/filters or reporting options for things like this?
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

GladDog

Re: Character Names

Postby GladDog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:11 pm

No final word on this. This is what I think, FWIW...

I would like to see global names. That solves a ton of naming problems easily. So there could be a Fire Lord@GladDog, and a Fire Lord@indigowulf.

HOWEVER, if you donated to a high enough level to reserve a name, you are the only one that gets the name you choose. So if you choose IndigoWulf as your unique name, no one else can take it. If I choose GladDog as my unique name, then no one else can take that. GladDawg, GladDoggy, and GladDoge would all be available, though. But GladDog would be all mine! For someone with a unique name, their names never show up as something like GladDog@GladDog. People only see GladDog.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Not if I get GladDog first. :D :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I'd be good with that. I really don't want to see people stealing our forum names and playing the imposter lol. That's part of why I never use "I" and only use "i" at the start, "I" could be upper case i or lower case L and imposter-tated. (that's a word now. I said it, so there)

Ravynwynd

Postby Ravynwynd » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:31 am

I understand wanting to have uniqueness. But. I get frustrated when I think I have a name that seems original to me, and someone beat me to it, and I can't use it. So I end up doing two things, coming up with a new name or using Alt Codes with accents.

I honestly don't want to go through that. There are plenty of Mary's and John's in the world. Matters not if there are two "Crywolf" or "Liliths" out there.

Global is the unique name we have.

Phantom Mouse

Postby Phantom Mouse » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:15 pm

I agree with the want for global names instead of unique names. It keeps down the need to trade for names for a concept that may not be as fun to roleplay or run as it seemed at the beginning.

Also keeps down names being locked by accounts that have gone inactive.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:50 am

I'd be ok with only having 1 unique name (which is also your global) but I'd really like to have that 1 identifier be sacred.. I'm indigowulf, I have been since my first hotmail account back in '96. I think most people choose a global that's personal to them. I don't want to see anyone named gladdog unless they are THE gladdog, no Consultant unless it's THE Consultant, and so on. We've come to know eachother, I don't want imposters lol.

Now, of course I'm ok with seeing 10 people named Shadow or something. My feelings on uniqueness are just for that one identifying name that we know eachother as. just because I'm indigowulf@indigowulf, I don't want to see indigowulf@gladdog (that sneaky man!) At least let our globals be a unique name others cannot copy. Just my 2 cents.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:08 pm

Now, of course I'm ok with seeing 10 people named Shadow or something. My feelings on uniqueness are just for that one identifying name that we know eachother as. just because I'm indigowulf@indigowulf, I don't want to see indigowulf@gladdog (that sneaky man!) At least let our globals be a unique name others cannot copy. Just my 2 cents.
I concur with this idea. Global names should be unique and never be able to be copied by another account. Golden Ace@Golden Ace... just so long as I can have spaces in the global.

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:41 am

yep I agree - the globals should be one of a kind (and probably saved already for those who have supported ;)?)
By the way - that is not just because I like my Account name - but I would feel it also to be nice to recognize some of the people I had great conversations or interesting arguments here in the game too :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Tomblady

Postby Tomblady » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:24 am

If no one else can take the name Tomblady for his hero, because it is my global, what happens the other way round?
The moment i create another hero, that heroes name would have to be blocked for all future accounts so that it can not be used as a global. Or i would have to be forced to rename my hero which is not a realistic option. 😨

And since im not the only one who will have a LOT of heroes this will reduce the possibilty to get a decent global whithout a mix of numbers significantly. And it will get worse the longer the game exists (which is hopefully a very long time).

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 am

If no one else can take the name Tomblady for his hero, because it is my global, what happens the other way round?
The moment i create another hero, that heroes name would have to be blocked for all future accounts so that it can not be used as a global. Or i would have to be forced to rename my hero which is not a realistic option. 😨

And since im not the only one who will have a LOT of heroes this will reduce the possibilty to get a decent global whithout a mix of numbers significantly. And it will get worse the longer the game exists (which is hopefully a very long time).
I think you have to see those two seperate - we were talking about the global - the global is independent of the specific name. The question if a global would automatically be connected to a characters name and would block it for further use of somebody else is as I understand it currently just a thought as part of the brainstorming.
We all agree that a global should be one of a kind - the question is if a specific name for a hero should be repeatable or not (which I think most more or less currently seem to agree that not would be nice) and if it is repeatable (like several players=globals do have a character named for example Shadow) how should we keep them apart?
So basically you can still be relaxed - currently we all share our thoughts and do the common brainstorming to support the Devs and your thoughts are part of it :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Tomblady

Postby Tomblady » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:47 am

I liked the way CO did. With champion@global.
I would not care if someone else' hero has the same name as mine. We would not look alike and can easily be seperated by global.
We are a community of players and i dont mind if eveyone know that i am @tomblady, just with another hero.
I think it also helps against toxic behavior, because someone can not hide behind a new toon to bully someone else.

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:01 am

Playing devils advocate vs my own opinion here... What happens if someone has a name on a character and then someone new joins and uses it as a global? Say Consultant wants to make a non-admin account to just play with us incognito, and he always uses "stinkyface" for things like that.. but I've already got a character named stinkyface? Is he barred from using it as a global? Do I have to change my characters name? Does my character get grandfathered in but no new stinkyfaces get to be created?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Playing devils advocate vs my own opinion here... What happens if someone has a name on a character and then someone new joins and uses it as a global? Say Consultant wants to make a non-admin account to just play with us incognito, and he always uses "stinkyface" for things like that.. but I've already got a character named stinkyface? Is he barred from using it as a global? Do I have to change my characters name? Does my character get grandfathered in but no new stinkyfaces get to be created?
I'm guessing that the best way to handle is if you make a global and someone else has the character name the first character you name would be your locked? character.

Return to “Ask the Devs”