Modes of Travel

Lawl

Re: Modes of Travel

Postby Lawl » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:22 am

I was actually just about to post a thread about this lol.

I'm actually not a fan of the idea that every hero will have the ability to fly. A lot of my heroes that I've created in CoX weren't the type of heroes that would get flight. They were either very big or they were the weapon fighting type (swords, guns, claws) that I didn't think would make sense if they could somehow fly.

I understand that there will be levels/areas that require flight but giving everyone flight could potentially kill off a challenge that could be exciting. It'd be exciting to maybe have to find people with certain skills like group flight or group teleportation. Or even having to pay some random NPC for a travel service.

And I always enjoyed working for my travel powers. It was always very exciting to receive your first travel power after having to walk/sprint for X amount of time. And it always made me feel like my hero was truly progressing and become a better hero.

This isn't anything game breaking but it is definitely something that I hope I will have an option to opt out of.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 am

I'm actually not a fan of the idea that every hero will have the ability to fly. A lot of my heroes that I've created in CoX weren't the type of heroes that would get flight. They were either very big or they were the weapon fighting type (swords, guns, claws) that I didn't think would make sense if they could somehow fly.
Again - everyone *doesn't* get flight. Everyone will have the *option* to get flight, along with whatever other travel powers are in the game. You don't *automatically* get flight, and only flight.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:46 am

We want to launch with flight, superspeed and teleport. Good flight is actually the hardest of the three, so we have coded that first. Leaving the hard stuff for last is not a good way to hit our project schedule.

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:08 am

Will there be the possibility to increase speed/teleport distance using enhancements? will the characters level also dictate the speed/teleport distance?

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:55 am

We want to launch with flight, superspeed and teleport. Good flight is actually the hardest of the three, so we have coded that first. Leaving the hard stuff for last is not a good way to hit our project schedule.
Is there any chance for a super jump in there at some point?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:47 am

regarding Super Speed: back in CoH I really wanted to love that travel power but there was a big problem with it:

1. Holes in the ground, rocks, craters, walls, and buildings all blocked the super speedster and had to be jumped over or run around the barrier.

DC Online has super speed correctly designed, IMO, in that one can run up buildings, etc.

Will SoH Super Speed also allow us to run up and down buildings and the ship walls, etc., or should speedsters be on the look out for rocks and potholes to trip us? :)

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:49 am

I was actually just about to post a thread about this lol.

I understand that there will be levels/areas that require flight but giving everyone flight could potentially kill off a challenge that could be exciting. It'd be exciting to maybe have to find people with certain skills like group flight or group teleportation. Or even having to pay some random NPC for a travel service.

And I always enjoyed working for my travel powers. It was always very exciting to receive your first travel power after having to walk/sprint for X amount of time. And it always made me feel like my hero was truly progressing and become a better hero.

This isn't anything game breaking but it is definitely something that I hope I will have an option to opt out of.
Well the only characters in CoH that had mandatory travel powers were the Peacebringers and the Warshades. All other Archetypes could choose their method of travel.

Though stone armor characters were essentially "shoehorned" into taking Teleport.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:38 am

I'm going to vote again that super speed , is the best travel power .... and trial and error in finding the best paths were part of the fun . I did in COH get stopped by bushes but you learn to look and plan where you are going .... running up building sounds interesting ,,, one could run up a building to the flight platform that would be helpful .... BUT i rather earn later in lvl'n the ability to run on water hee hee ( DASH on Increibles).
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Mister Nice Guy

Postby Mister Nice Guy » Wed May 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Yeah I remember my alt Stone Tanker kinda had to pick teleport.
And I agree with the decision of normal Jet-packs not being able to work while you are weighing i.e. 10 tons.

But with anti-gravity science/magic widely available... You could have made (or upgraded/enchanted) the jetpack to have an anti-gravity field generator.

Meridian

Postby Meridian » Thu May 04, 2017 2:04 pm

I hated Super Speed because going up stairs (and negotiating some areas) was so difficult.
A true speedster would not have any perception issues--unlike the player.

Also staircases lacked curbs or railings so you could just run right off the side. I begged CoH to add an invisible "lip" so you had to hit the Jump button if you wanted to fall off a staircase.
This would have made it so that a human-controlled Super Speedster could actually run up and down a fire escape.

Teleport was a mess.
It was fine if you wanted to devote your time to macros and keybinds and mastering the least important power in your repertoire (after Brawl).

The problem with that is, you have 8 alts and all the travel powers, you as a player don't want to devote so much time to one specific power that's supposed to be for CONVENIENCE, not inconvenience.
Teleport was a game-within-a-game.

Champions Online had tunneling, which was mostly a novelty.

IMO just get FLYING ready to go for alpha and skip any other travel powers. It's the most iconic and the devs don't need to be chasing a rabbit hole of travel powers to get a game system up and running.

Of course Super Speed can be included in the sense that SS is just adding X% to an already existing algorithm so it's the least work to just throw it in there.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Fri May 05, 2017 1:07 pm

will new modes of transport be defined by the characters powers?

e.g.
Creating an ICE powered character gives you the unique power of "Ice Slide" (surfing around the ship on ice)
Creating a FIRE powered character gives you the unique power of "afterburn" (faster form of flying that leaves a flame trail)

giving a reason to try each power when creating a new character (i always stuck with Electric as i didnt see the need to try the others)
Great idea. I have always been a fan of alt travel powers. Like Phoenix flight with the fire bird animation and ice slide flight.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri May 05, 2017 4:00 pm

These suggestions are good, but I think that if the devs are so minded, they will need to wait for a while after release. That is a LOT of animation work, and SoH's dev team is only at 12 with the two they just added. Basic flight, super speed and Teleport are what they are promising us, and lets be very, very happy with that until the game is a bit further ahead.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:36 am

A question about flight

The flight positons are there options?
As in when moving forward is laying flat the only position?
Or can you chose to stay in the upright standing position while moving forward?
I hoping we can, mostly it's a OP position as in I'm so powerful the atmosphere does not slow me down even while moving fast in a standing position.
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:59 am

All of our flight work is custom work we've figured out ourselves, and we actually want to keep making improvements. Right now we fly in a more horizontal position, but we are working it out to see how this would work with combat an in flight, Right now air-to-air combat is possible, and this imposes some constraints on flying while vertical.

We're thinking about it and working on it, so you should expect it to evolve.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:39 am

Flight poses are going to be one of those very personal things, I think. I'd love a floating upright, arms crossed magento-style fly animation for example, but for some characters that wouldn't work at all.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Return to “Ask the Devs”