Modes of Travel

Silverphish

Modes of Travel

Postby Silverphish » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Can I get some clarification on this part:
Ship of Heroes improves on one of the best features in City of Heroes, allowing every hero to fly right from the start

Does this mean *if you choose flight as your mode of travel*, or does it literally mean that *every* hero can fly, even the 20 ton solid iron tanker? If it's the latter, I'm pretty sure I don't like that.

Golden Stone

Re: Modes of Travel

Postby Golden Stone » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:33 pm

In City; as a stone tank, activating the armor would turn flight off automatically. I went with teleport, which I hope is added to the game. The ability to tp from mob to mob saved a great deal of time and aggravation with powers that limited movement like rooted, and granite armor. A similar mechanic in this game would seem to make sense. If everyone were started out with some sort of flight pack as standard equipment issued when boarding it could be well used in the game. This could lead to some interesting missions or areas of the ship where the engineering systems are off-line, including the gravity.

Silverphish

Postby Silverphish » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:33 pm

I think the idea that "you don't have to work for it" detracts from the game. Besides, how long did it take to get your travel power in CoX? One session of gameplay? That made sense to me.

Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:34 pm

Golden Stone's idea of an initial jetpack is clever - everyone 'has' flight, but a jetpack has weight limits, so no using weight-enhancing powers when using it or it won't lift. The devs could make the official Flight travel power strong enough to carry even tons of weight - but you would have to pick it as a travel power, so you don't just get the 'improved' Flight without working for it.

Also, I think that having a couple areas that have reduced or no gravity would be fun.

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Considering we are 500 years in the future, why wouldn't everyone fly? Even everyday Joes flying to the office. Saves a lot on commuter time. :lol:

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:15 pm

Just to amplify, we do not plan to have NPC civilians flying around. Just heroes and bad guys.

Bacteria

Postby Bacteria » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:50 pm

My $.02:

I remember just about EVERY detail of the low-level CoH maps to this day. I do so because I had to run around them on foot, dealing with trash mobs and random encounters. That made Paragon City feel like a real place.

When I finally got my Movement power (the crappy base Hover ability), I literally cheered - NOW I CAN FLY!!! What a great moment. This wasn't even bad with alts: yeah I had to run around for a little while with my new toon, but by that point I knew how to level up to my Travel Power pretty quick. As I made alts, I usually chose Super Speed as my Travel Power, because with that I could at least see the world "at street level" which made it a bit more "real". SS + Teep was the ultimate for me, because I could run on the ground for 90% of the time, then occasionally use Teep when I absolutely needed to get vertical.

Interestingly, I can remember almost nothing about the higher-level zones. Why? Because I never touched the ground unless I was going to a Mission Door.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:30 am

Travel power is good i to loved the super speed , and the fact that to get from one map to another one had to traverse the zone made the game more real because it added space and time into the equation.
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:18 am

I think it's ok that every hero will have a basic ability to fly (think hoverpack or something else technical). This way you can design levels and missions with verticality in mind without any hero left behind.

Flying as a fast travel power should be limited to those that choose it in my opinion. There should be alternatives (TP and superspeed for example). If everybody could fly pretty fast without investing anything, what would be the point of other travel powers?

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:53 am

The devs have stated that the game will release with Flight and Super Speed, and they will add Teleport later. It would not surprise me if temp power jet packs (or refuelable jet packs) are readily available in this world.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:53 am

"every hero can fly" means everyone can have a travel-power, not that it has to be a flight :)

And CoH always had a distinction between how you looked at what your powers did, so if a 20-ton tanker wants to fly, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to :P

I remember having the jetpack temporary power for new characters later on in CoH, which filled the gap between 1-6.

That would be perfectly acceptable, especially if there were versions of how it looked.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Wing Leader

Postby Wing Leader » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:28 pm

I loved Superleap from CoX. There were many character concepts for which Flight did not fit, but Superleap did. Shame not to see it available at launch.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Yep I loved Super Jump too, but that one has some complex animations that probably made it a last choice when your dev team is small. I am sure we will see it in some form within a few months after release.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

kinglucus

Postby kinglucus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:47 am

If it is an automatic travel power, I'm not a big fan that we can "fly" straight off the bat, I would rather earn my ability at level 5 or level 10 after running around the maps dodging mobs. Surely the point of this game is to challenge and enjoy the city? not just fly through everything as quick as possible?

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:00 am

We plan for you to be challenged. Do not be concerned on that front. :)

Return to “Ask the Devs”