Real time ray tracing?

Dragonnas Xavier

Real time ray tracing?

Postby Dragonnas Xavier » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Now that Nvidia has unveiled their RTX/Turing line of GPUs, have there been any plans or efforts made to incorporate this into the game? I know that the design team has prided themselves on the realism of their work. To see true-to-life lighting, shadowing, and reflectivity would be nice icing on the cake down the road.

GladDog

Re: Real time ray tracing?

Postby GladDog » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Ray Tracing is probably 5-7 years from being mainstream. Wait until the programming is more developed. But right now less than 10% of games in development in big studios are adding ray tracing to their games. Why? because programming a game for Ray Tracing excludes AMD video cards, XboX (uses AMD video) and PS4 (uses AMD video). So in essence they have to make the game twice, once for ray tracing and once for anything else. It's just like OpenGL. It was a novelty for years, until ATI, 3DFX and Nvidia all decided to adopt it. Then the modern era of gaming started!
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Dragonnas Xavier

Re: Real time ray tracing?

Postby Dragonnas Xavier » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:51 am

I definitely see where you're coming from with that. But again for the devs, is rasterization of lighting, shadowing, and reflection hardwired into the graphics generation to the point that you would actually have to redesign the game from the ground up? Or is the rasterization of these elements something that could be toggled off and replaced with ray tracing with less optimization needed, essentially using all the same models and skins but redesigning the way they interact with light to incorporate ray tracing? I'm curious about it from a programming standpoint. From what I've seen in various articles, it looks like rudimentary ray tracing could be done very easily in programming, it was just hardware that was lacking before. Interested in hearing from some of the programming team.

Return to “Ask the Devs”