rebirthing characters

Consultant

Re: rebirthing characters

Postby Consultant » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:59 am

It seems pretty reasonable to me to allow players to hold the name of a deleted character for a while. Probably not forever, but for a while. A month? Some amount of time...

How long do you all think is reasonable?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:50 am

It seems pretty reasonable to me to allow players to hold the name of a deleted character for a while. Probably not forever, but for a while. A month? Some amount of time...

An hour, a day tops.

Story time.

When I first started playing on protector I couldn’t use “Golden Ace” because someone had grabbed the name. (I couldn’t Blame them because after all who wouldn’t want the best name ever?). :D

I ended up buying the name from the guy for 200 million. As soon as he deleted it I was able to grab it right away.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am

Base it on the contribution of the player. A player that has reached a certain donation level keeps a name for a month or two, all others lose their name after a week or two. Since most people are deleting a character because they did not like the setup, but want to keep the name, I would imagine that people are going to recreate something with that name within a few hours. But peeps that helped out with getting the game going get an extra long time to reset their character!

Exceptions; When free trials are offered, or when someone is using a gift month, their names are reserved for somewhere between 2-4 weeks. Also, when a character hits a certain level (lets say 40) the name is permanently bound to the player's account.

If I had to pick single numbers;

most players: 1 week
donators;: 1 month
trial users; 2 weeks
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm not sure if this applies to this thread or not, but what about keeping character body creation? Such as saving the face and body so you can update them later or be able to port that to another character?

Suppose you take hours to create a character but run out of time to get it to look just right. Or maybe you want one of each archetype to look just like you. Will you need to start from scratch each time? Will there be numbers with the sliders so you can record them or will there be something like a save current settings?

I don't like the idea of re-birthing a character to their current level. I would rather start from level 1 and become familiar with the new powers as I level. However, I do like the idea of being able to modify and copy the appearance of a character you've already created.
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:33 pm

We do plan to make it easy to find and keep the numbers associated with all of you choices on the sliders. This should allow you to retain the look of a character, and all of those choices you make.

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:31 am

An hour, a day tops.

Story time.

When I first started playing on protector I couldn’t use “Golden Ace” because someone had grabbed the name. (I couldn’t Blame them because after all who wouldn’t want the best name ever?). :D

I ended up buying the name from the guy for 200 million. As soon as he deleted it I was able to grab it right away.
you wanted the best name ever and ended up with Golden Ace ? ;)
I sincerely feel with you :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:37 am

I am kind of with G.D. here. It should differ to avoid people blocking names until they feel like using them.
Since it is about a person having the chance to re-use a name without having the trouble that he/she could lose it I think for trial users 1 day should be enough

about the rest maybe differing if somebody is seen as a secure player (like playing for a certain time - with a certain amount of characters - things like that) he gets maybe a month. If he/she is still newer max a week.

Generally I don´t really see the need for having it blocked for a longer period, because when I create a character and the new set comes online and I decide to re-do it with that and delete the old version for it, than I normally won´t delete it, before I am ready to create it new. So basically I would delete, get back into the creator and get it going (on a normal situation players generally should be able to have that kind of thing done in 1 day as I see it, but a week reduces the pressure and a month should be enough for anything unexpected happening like the computer explodes before you could create the new one and you need to order one first ;) )
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

mchlsmmrs

Postby mchlsmmrs » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:38 am

I remember it being very difficult to ‘Re-Spec’ your character’s power sets, and most often it was easier to delete and remake. As you experiment with new power combination and/or costume designs to complement the character you are trying to build, it sometimes took you into double-digit levels to realize “I really don’t like…” If it was possible to transfer the name for a “rebirth” [24 real-time hours is reasonable] and convert that earned XP into something else [ie. in-game funds, boosts, temp powers, group funds, base items, etc.], then I believe that would be a game perk worth its weight in ‘dust’. It never felt right having to give up all the earned experience/influence as a penalty just because I was trying to build the character I really wanted to play into end-game.

As a side note: Naming a character should be near the beginning of the build process. It’s very frustrating to take your inspiration for a character, put in all of the time it takes to customize the look “just right”, and get to the end and discover “Name Taken. Please Choose Another.” It’s a big let-down when ‘Captain Silver Horns’ has to be remade especially when you went the extra step and wrote a backstory/bio about your new toon.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:53 am

great comment here!

I totally agree - giving a name should be at the beginning of your character creation, so you can create around your name :)

Mageman

Postby Mageman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:35 pm

I've thought about this and this can be a difficult thing. Having a level 50 character and "Rebirthing" into a level 50 with different powers can be detrimental to the game not to mention suddenly you have a power set that you don't know how to play.

I think of CoH where you could easily level a Scrapper to level 50 in solo play. However, Controllers were a lot more difficult at lower levels. IF something like this was available in CoH, it would be easy to level a scrapper and convert it to a controller.

If something like this becomes available and you are going to convert to a different class (i.e. Scrapper to Controller), I think you should lose at least 1/2 your levels in the process. So if you have a level 50, you become a level 25. If you find that too difficult, then you could convert back as about a level 12.5. If you are going to convert within a class (i.e. the fore mentioned Fire Tank to an Ice Tank), you could lose less than 1/2 of your levels. However, this shouldn't be a level 50 to a level 50 - maybe 25% of your levels.

Return to “Ask the Devs”