rebirthing characters

indigowulf

rebirthing characters

Postby indigowulf » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Since we cannot reasonable have infinite character slots, we will need to limit how many alts we have. At the start, there will only be so many ATs/power sets, with more coming out as time goes on. My question is, will we be allowed to "rebirth" a character into another AT/power set when they come out? Say I have a fire tank at level 15 and an ice tank is released, could I swap my power sets? We could have a certain time limit where this could be a free action, after that it costs or is simply not available. Even more extreme, could I swap that fire tank for a commander when they come out? If this is a feasible idea, would we be re-setting to level 1, or keep our level? Maybe level 1 if it's an AT swap, but keep level if it's just a power swap? I'd love to hear what the devs, and the community, think or what is already being discussed if anything on the devs side?
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Vertigo Blue

Re: rebirthing characters

Postby Vertigo Blue » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 pm

I really like this idea, especially with limited alts.

If they do end up offering this I think players should have the option to choose which level to start at after a switch.

With a brand new powerset that's just come out I'd personally prefer to start at level 1, that way I get a chance to learn the new powers/adjust to a new play style. If we can only start at our current level when we switch over then I'd probably just delete the old toon and make a new one.

If, however, someone really wanted to keep their current level but switch powersets/archetypes then I think having that option would be really nice. Could be set up as a free action for a limited time like you said when new powers come out. It could also be set up as a standard, one time deal with every toon you make. You'd get one chance to switch powersets/archetypes for your character at any point in game, after that you'd have the option to purchase a switch token...seems fair to me. Wonder how difficult that would be to implement?

Some thoughts: (Sorry if these have been answered before in a different thread but thought of this now so just adding them in here...)

Lets say I do decide to delete a toon and start over, would I lose the character name if I'm not quick to reclaim it? How will that work in the SoH? I've never had this issue before but throwing it out there just out of curiosity. Could there maybe be a way of linking all pre-existing character names to their respective player accounts to prevent losing their names when re-rolling toons? Does this already exists in gameland and I'm just not aware of it? lol

Losing items might also be a concern when deleting and re-rolling a toon. Will there be an in-game bank or email system that allows players to send themselves stuff?

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:16 am

Right now we do not have a plan for re-birthing characters. We would all need to roll a new one when we want to try something else. We do have a plan for re-specifying characters within their original powerset choices, so players can choose different powers.

Strife3

Postby Strife3 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Remember City of Heroes had only 8 character slots for awhile then they went to 12 then 16 then to 50,
Over the years in CoH i ended up with 62 characters having to shift 8 off to another server and 5 low level characters elsewhere.

As for Rebirthing characters it all depends on the powersets but I do have plans to bring back one of my main characters
She was a Fire/Fire tank known as Mistress Fire on Justice CoH server.
Of course I lost the name and that M Fire became a Fire controler and i Renamed my Fire tank to Nehelenia
When we see the powersets and how many character slots there will be I'll deside then but rebirth or not, at Lauch I will be a Tank always forming teams.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:46 pm

I hadn't realized it went up to 50

they also had a dozen servers. so i would like more character slots sooner here as we will only have one server.

I know a lot of people who satisfied their altitis by putting their alts on many different servers.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:55 pm

Hmm... I had 68 characters on Justice, and a very few empty slots. I think the most you could get in-game was 50, but you could buy more in the shop. I think it was 400 of the cash shop currency got you 5 slots. Or maybe it was 800 - it was a long time ago. Whatever, you got a bunch of this cash every month if you subbed.

For a while they had a cap of 50 characters altogether on ALL servers, which they eventually raised to 88. They finally even lifted that limit.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:00 am

but since we only plan one server the question of hard drive space should allow a higher number, shouldn´t it?
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

twicebitten

Postby twicebitten » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Lets say I do decide to delete a toon and start over, would I lose the character name if I'm not quick to reclaim it?
I think a simple solution would be when a user is confirming the deletion of a character, they get the option to do something along the lines of:

A) Delete your hero {player.name} permanently? (Confirm dialog: Your hero {player.name} will be released for anyone to claim, are you sure?)
B) Start {player.name} over as a new character? (Confirm dialog: Your current hero {player.name} will be erased and you will start over at level 1, are you sure?)

Hope

Postby Hope » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:34 am

I had so many alts that I ended up having 3 accounts so I could have the majority of them on one server...
~Twilight Avengers~

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:34 am

We hven't set the number of slots yet, but we understand the need for many! :)

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 am

YES!
I have finally a plattform to visualize my 879 characters I created as a kid :roll: :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:12 am

I don't like the idea of being able to keep your level while changing archetype or even subtype for the following reasons:

1) Such a character won't have "earned" their powers. This leads to players playing at a high level while being unfamiliar with their powers. High level teams will suffer, the affected character may well get ostracized, Lose/lose situation.

2) No need to do low levels again, leading to an abandoned low level range. New players won't be able to find similar level team mates, forcing them to go into sidekick mode. They won't have a normal progression leading to frustration and not feeling "super" at all.

3) Abandoned low level tasks/missions.

I think SoH should do the *exact* opposite. Make it fun for people to create alts. Make it possible so that you can twink your alts to a degree (not making them OP though). A game like SoH will profit hugely from having a lot of low level alts running around. Make leveling from scratch fun and not too repetitive.

You may even consider a progeny system like pantheon will have, so that you get rewarded for retiring max level characters with small perks to a new character.

Please try to keep SoH from getting too top heavy. Keep it fresh!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:28 pm

You may even consider a progeny system like pantheon will have, so that you get rewarded for retiring max level characters with small perks to a new character.
totally against this. mostly because I'm a one character guy.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:21 am

totally against this. mostly because I'm a one character guy.
Doesn't take anything away from you. And i am really talking *small* perks. I understand your point of view though.

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:40 am

I don't like the idea of being able to keep your level while changing archetype or even subtype for the following reasons:

1) Such a character won't have "earned" their powers. This leads to players playing at a high level while being unfamiliar with their powers. High level teams will suffer, the affected character may well get ostracized, Lose/lose situation.

2) No need to do low levels again, leading to an abandoned low level range. New players won't be able to find similar level team mates, forcing them to go into sidekick mode. They won't have a normal progression leading to frustration and not feeling "super" at all.

3) Abandoned low level tasks/missions.

I think SoH should do the *exact* opposite. Make it fun for people to create alts. Make it possible so that you can twink your alts to a degree (not making them OP though). A game like SoH will profit hugely from having a lot of low level alts running around. Make leveling from scratch fun and not too repetitive.

Please try to keep SoH from getting too top heavy. Keep it fresh!
First of all, I understand your argumentation and see the danger you are talking about. But I do not agree with it in some major points.

1. Of course you are right, that there is a danger, that people would change into a power set, which is unfamiliar and causing kind of chaos with it and might even hurt reputation.
But that is just a lose-lose-situation if you expect people in high levels being not willing anymore to accept failure and are just success-oriented instead of fun-oriented.
And it can be fun to a certain degree, seeing how somebody struggles to get along with his powers (like in the "real" comic world too - most heroes didn´t get a manual when getting their powers ;) ). By the way, if players know that the lvl is not a guarantee, they will get along with that too - people tend just to get angry when their expectations are not met - and expecting somebody being a pro or you don´t want to play with him - I wouldn´t want to be a part of that group anyway, no matter if I earned my lvl or not because I don´t believe in the ability over fun argumentation.
Also I don´t really believe, that somebody who managed to level a character to a certain degree, will be completely incompetent with other classes by the way.

2. I totally disagree with that thought. Because I believe it to be totally unrealistic that players only have one or two characters. And THAT would be the only way, how that could happen! According to your argument you expect players just to play the lvls once and than switch between the powers? I mean seriously, do you really think, that players only have fun in one type of character and than they will try out another one and leave the old be?
I would never do that because I would like to have different characters in different classes and power variations. And according to what I have read here so far and experienced in the past there are very many players thinking as I.
The Argument could be turned around too by the way: lets say I have an Stone Tank (because nothing else was available) but since I do not know, if my "Ice Tank" will anytime near be available and I want to have a tank for the team I create my character thinking I will imagine the powers to be like I actually want them until I can have them. According to your logic I would have to delete the Stone Tank completely and start fresh, because of the lvl question - and than my team would have to wait for me lvl until I am of use for them again (so what I am trying to say - each card has two sides)
Anyway, rebirthing means, I can optimize my character, which I created before a certain power set, which I pictured for him/her was available. Still people who want to play a blaster, a healer, a controller, a commander and so on too, would have to start a new character every time again in any case, because getting online switching power sets regrouping inspirations and all that would be way too much work to be realistic.
Just think about past game sessions. You met some people talked and liked each other. But you realized, they had the wrong class to play a certain mission. What did you do? Just reload with another one and had fun. Rebirthing would never be spontanously possible, so it is highly doubtalbe, that people will not play fresh characters anyway.

3. When people lvl a new character, because they like to create and want to have a wide variaty to choose from, as written at point 2 already, than this question will not apply too.

Collecting the thoughts:
All in all Rebirthing means keeping things fresh, because it gives you the freedom, to optimize your character without deleting it. It most surely will not lead to players only having high lvl characters, because a major fun aspect is creating and having a variety to choose from. Since rebirthing does not mean copying but you lose one for another that still forces players who want to have different classes to start fresh every time they want to improve their character portfolio.
Also people tend to get accustomed to their characters and build a certain emotional bond to them - I am sure most will not just kick and change on a daily basis because there is that new thing they want to try out.
BUT it gives them the chance to have a character being named a certain way, having a certain history and when the idea you had with it is not completely possible with the only powers you thought you had available, than you can optimize that later
INSTEAD of having the danger of being completely pissed with the world, the game, the other players, the DEVs and so on, when you for example delete a character, because there is finally the perfect combo for you and you have to rebuild it and the moment you want to use your name for the new character another one picks it a second faster than you and your character name, which you build and used is gone! I for my part would have to fight with myself for not hating that guys guts every time I get online and see the name I once had and lost according to being not fast enough while trying to optimize my character.

Return to “Ask the Devs”