Beta Character Wipe?

Dragonnas Xavier

Beta Character Wipe?

Postby Dragonnas Xavier » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 pm

I know in some of the rewards for donating, it mentions being able to save character designs to use in the game. Does this mean that the closed beta will receive a world wipe when moving to open? Will the character wipe occur when going from open beta to full release? It sounds like a character wipe between open beta and full release, just getting confirmation. Will it also include a super group wipe? A friends list wipe? It's not an important point, but one I'm curious enough about to ask you guys. :)

indigowulf

Re: Beta Character Wipe?

Postby indigowulf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:34 am

Good questions, also awaiting your reply!
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 am

We actually do not know yet. Which is one reason why we'll be supplying the characters for the login test. We don't want people to become too attached, and then feel that they have been treated badly if we delete those characters at a later point in time.

We have not discussed it lately, but we are still working on some improvements to the CCT that were requested last October, after the first Alpha. In fact, we added another great character artist just yesterday to our team (that's two new artists in the last approximately six weeks). We decided that we need some additional contributors in the character art department.

So will we wipe out your characters from Beta? We'd rather let you make that decision, but we have to see how it goes. Sorry for an imprecise answer.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:00 am

Honestly I would really like to get my hands on the character creator… I’m sure I could spend days on that thing

Oh why were talking about the subject…

**Hint** Fully holographic characters **Hint**
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:12 am

Honestly I would really like to get my hands on the character creator… I’m sure I could spend days on that thing

Oh why were talking about the subject…

**Hint** Fully holographic characters **Hint**
you mean like shine through bodies :)?
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:49 am

See though yes.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 am

See though yes.
I am for it LET`S HAVE THEM!!!! :D
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:43 pm

TBH I think a character wipe when we transition from beta to live is only fair for new people who didn't get here for beta. It would be a little discouraging on launch day to find yourself as one of the only level 1's surrounded by beta players who maybe level capped already. You've already said we can make characters in the creator to save and import, so really it shouldn't be that much of a loss to re-level them and keep it an even field out the gate.

eta: but friends list and sg wipe would make me a sad panda
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Pyrion

Postby Pyrion » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:52 pm

+1 for wipe after beta. At launch everybody should start the same.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:54 pm

I’m all for a level / badge / experience wipe but not for the name/costume

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:14 am

true I would also feel it to be pretty sad if we create a character with costume, name and everything and then later with launch it would be gone and even worse the name might be taken already, so we could not redo the character we made already in beta

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:27 am

As I understand it, and I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong. It was intended that we would reserve a name and create a character using the character creator which would be saved locally. Then at launch, we'd log on and upload our character somehow to the server using the reserved name.

As far as a wipe goes, I'm not too bothered either way. It used to be usual to do that to make sure everyone starts off at the same time but, recently, that's become less common, presumably as an incentive for people to play the beta.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Return to “Ask the Devs”