Character Slots

Golden Ace

Character Slots

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:46 am

When city of heroes opened I believe we had 8 character slots per server. Plus an extra slot for every 12 months of gameplay. As time went on there were other options in which to increase the number of slots available.

But multiply that by the number of servers we had, and we literally had a nearly endless amount of slots For alts. Well maybe not endless but it did seem that way.

Personally I believe that we should start with More slots than what city of heroes had in the beginning at our launch because of the single server environment. Alts will be a huge part of the game. We need the additional slots. And we need a way to earn or purchase more slots. I do like the extra character slots For every 12 months of gameplay, And think that, at the very least, we should have that here too.

My question is how many slots will be available at launch? 🚀
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Dragonnas Xavier

Re: Character Slots

Postby Dragonnas Xavier » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 pm

I agree with you Golden Ace, alts are going to be a huge part of this game. Especially if the level limit starts around 20 or 30, people are going to want to experience tons of different ways to play through those limited levels. Plus, the way character creation is looking, we're all going to want to see what fun, crazy characters we can come up with. :D I personally think maybe getting more character slots would be easier if we reduced the number of alternate costumes each individual character can have. Costume slots are cosmetic in nature, character slots not so much. So we could give each character 2, maybe 3 costume slots, and have cash shop purchases for extra costume slots, and not limit the number of character slots too heavily.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:46 am

Dragonnas, just so we understand, are you calling for a reduction in costume slots, as in you would like to see the boots, pants and belt made into one slot, rather than three slots?

Or are you calling for each character to have one costume, and allow players to make more characters, as a way to create more costumed superheroes on the ship?

It's likely that we will begin with one costume per character, and then increase that over time. That feature is simply because we want to get the game out, playable and with a lot of fun features, but we know we have to focus on the basic game, and then use the subscription revenues to expand it.

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:36 am

Dragonnas, just so we understand, are you calling for a reduction in costume slots, as in you would like to see the boots, pants and belt made into one slot, rather than three slots?

Or are you calling for each character to have one costume, and allow players to make more characters, as a way to create more costumed superheroes on the ship?

It's likely that we will begin with one costume per character, and then increase that over time. That feature is simply because we want to get the game out, playable and with a lot of fun features, but we know we have to focus on the basic game, and then use the subscription revenues to expand it.
Just a question to the one costume part: Will there be transformation possibilites which fit in one costume slot then?
You know, when I created my first blaster I gave him a costume and I gave him on the second costume slot a brightly illuminated body. That one was just the plain muscle structure with an aura which made the complete thing look like a shining energy being. So when he transformed from his regular optics into his battle optics (how I called the "energy body") it was basically a costume change from slot one to slot two. When I would use a third one - it would be a civilian outfit (like leasure time clothing or work uniform). So I wouldn´t like the idea of having only one costume slot - but of course I would prefer being patient with those things than having to wait with the game until everything mentioned here is done completely

This being said, I have to say, that I am looking forward to be able to have those changes but creating more different characters would currently be more important to me than being able to switch clothes. (but since patience is necessary already ;) couldn´t we reduce the waiting time for the benefit of extra slots down to like every 6 month :)?)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Sentinel King

Postby Sentinel King » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm

I might be in the minority on this, but i rather fancy the idea of having to pay real money for extra character slots and costumes. I have always been a fan of consumption-tax as it's paid by only those that want to do whatever is taxed and I see this as a dandy way to support the further development of the game. This also puts some burden on the Devs to create the very best game they can to encourage us to buy more slots to experiment with new ideas.

That said, I feel we should start with a reasonable number of character slots at launch (6 to 8 maybe?) AND allow Veterancy to unlock more....maybe one additional free slot for every 9-12 months of paid subscription. Costume slots? I don't really have a dog in that race as cosmetics were always less important to me than other factors in the game. Maybe unlocking an additional free costume slot every 10-15 character levels?

Paying real money to buy extra character slots and costume slots/cosmetic pieces/effects is the ONLY form of cash-store I can support. Pay-to-win makes me cranky with stupid crap like XP-boosters or timed attribute-buffs. In CoX, I had two subscription-accounts and filled five servers (on each account) with character slots and considered it money well spent.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:46 pm

I concur.

I want the game to be profitable

Phantom Mouse

Postby Phantom Mouse » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 pm

I really hope that we eventually get additional costume slots. I have fond memories of roleplaying beach parties, and it would be hard to do that if we're stuck in hero garb all the time.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:23 pm

I really hope that we eventually get additional costume slots. I have fond memories of roleplaying beach parties, and it would be hard to do that if we're stuck in hero garb all the time.
I agree. I had a lot of fun being able to change costumes with Ace. Eventually I’d like to see at least half a dozen different costumes available per character or at least select characters

Dragonnas Xavier

Postby Dragonnas Xavier » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:30 pm

To clarify, I don't mean a reduction in slots to choose costume pieces in - the customization of characters is extremely important to pretty much everyone (we should keep pants, boots, belts separate in your example). I was meaning that instead of having lots of extra entire costumes per character (like the "old world"), we should instead prioritize more character creation slots.

People will pay for additional costume slots, and honestly they'll also pay for additional character slots too, but when the game starts out with a low level cap, it will be important for people to be able to create as many characters as they can to just get a feel for everything and keep their interest invested (and also to provide feedback on what's working and what's not as far as power sets and archetypes to help us develop further).

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:37 am

I'd also really love to know how many slots we get at the start of the game, so I know how many characters to pre-make when I take launch day off to lock down my choices lol. Obviously, I'm choosing indigowulf as my reserved name, but I have a couple others I really want to make, and I suspect the names will be hot commodities, depending on if you're making names unique or not (I hope you do.. I don't want to see another indigowulf! lol)
Either way though, I will be messing around with char creator as soon as we are allowed access, and it'd be nice to know how many saved characters to limit myself to, so I don't get too excited and have the game tell me no haha.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 pm

I think it should be 8 character slots, and then you can earn more from raids or task forces, or as veteran rewards. Or, if you don't like raids and TF's, purchase character slots from the cash shop, whenever they put that in the game. Or maybe have a vendor in a tough to get to place that sells a character slot once per game patch for dust.

As far as costume slots, I think that CoH had too many. If we end up with 3 costume slots per character + an SG outfit slot, I think that is more than enough. Therefore, an SG costume slot when they introduce SG bases; One regular slot at level 30 and one at level 60.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Anarchium

Postby Anarchium » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:10 pm

If I'm not mistaken, City of Heroes used the same approach and players had to unlock the 2nd costume slot starting around 12th level. I may be remembering wrong, but I think it was around the time most characters were reaching Steel Canyon that they'd be able to hit the tailor there for the addition.

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:13 pm

If I'm not mistaken, City of Heroes used the same approach and players had to unlock the 2nd costume slot starting around 12th level. I may be remembering wrong, but I think it was around the time most characters were reaching Steel Canyon that they'd be able to hit the tailor there for the addition.
I remember there was a mission from the tailor that unlocked the slot.
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 pm

You have to remember the role players. The more slots the better

Anarchium

Postby Anarchium » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:37 pm

You have to remember the role players. The more slots the better
If role players in our day had to fly uphill both ways to get a 2nd costume slot, it's good enough for the whippersnapper role players today.

Return to “Ask the Devs”