New Healing Powerset?

Blue Yankee

Re: New Healing Powerset?

Postby Blue Yankee » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:37 pm

From my time in games, people tend to be really picky on which powerset the healer is using.

It is a pet peeve of mine when a healer enters a group and gets kick for being the wrong type. The person who kicked the healer then goes off on a tangent about how the powerset does not have large enough heals, or frequent enough heals, or uses too much energy, or can only cover the tank.

I think it would be best to have just one pure healer powerset. Other buffing powersets can have a few heals, but there should be only one pure healer set.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:03 am

From my time in games, people tend to be really picky on which powerset the healer is using.

It is a pet peeve of mine when a healer enters a group and gets kick for being the wrong type. The person who kicked the healer then goes off on a tangent about how the powerset does not have large enough heals, or frequent enough heals, or uses too much energy, or can only cover the tank.

I think it would be best to have just one pure healer powerset. Other buffing powersets can have a few heals, but there should be only one pure healer set.
nothing against a pure healing set
but seriously - people who kick somebody out of a team because his/her powers do not fit the effectivity-measures?
First I don´t like those kind of people - a game should be for fun and not for effectivness (nothing against doing it good but fun and community should be over all) and if having the top team is more important than the people behind it - I think they got the wrong type of thinking for that kind of game (I mean, sure you could ask around in a team when there is too much trouble if somebody got a more fitting character - but throwing out for that reason is a no go).
Second I would not want to be part of a team, where the only reason, why I am accepted is because I have what they need and am exchangable if somebody more fitting comes around - only reason for me to kick somebody is if that person does not fit to the team in question of personality (kills the fun because of the way he acts or writes/talks) and then it is still a question of how you do it (like asking the person if the differences can be settled, if not being polite by ending the partnership)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:37 pm

nothing against a pure healing set
but seriously - people who kick somebody out of a team because his/her powers do not fit the effectivity-measures?
First I don´t like those kind of people - a game should be for fun and not for effectivness (nothing against doing it good but fun and community should be over all) and if having the top team is more important than the people behind it - I think they got the wrong type of thinking for that kind of game (I mean, sure you could ask around in a team when there is too much trouble if somebody got a more fitting character - but throwing out for that reason is a no go).
Second I would not want to be part of a team, where the only reason, why I am accepted is because I have what they need and am exchangable if somebody more fitting comes around - only reason for me to kick somebody is if that person does not fit to the team in question of personality (kills the fun because of the way he acts or writes/talks) and then it is still a question of how you do it (like asking the person if the differences can be settled, if not being polite by ending the partnership)
I completely agree with you.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 pm

/Kick

:D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:24 am

/Kick

:D
yep I can really picture you doing it ;)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:26 pm

haha I recall when they were putting together a master statesman run and they wanted emp defender. They had some of the top pinnacle toons in the run; weatherwomans rock tank, gawdzillas blaster.. and I asked to bring my ill/emp troller as heals. They doubted I could handle it, but were willing to give me a shot. We got our master.
~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:01 am

haha I recall when they were putting together a master statesman run and they wanted emp defender. They had some of the top pinnacle toons in the run; weatherwomans rock tank, gawdzillas blaster.. and I asked to bring my ill/emp troller as heals. They doubted I could handle it, but were willing to give me a shot. We got our master.
I don´t doubt that :)
A good team with a good chemistry is worth way more than a team just being put together on the green table. Nobody should ever be turned down because of a concept. If the personality is not right - ok; but otherwise if one is ok why not ask if he/she got something else - short character change and everything is fine :).
I would always be willing to give unused combinations a try - and if it just be for the laughs and the fun, seeing how things can end up ;)

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:26 am

On the teaming issue, I will relate a story of mine from the first time I had ever did an ITF. I was playing my scrapper (named Consultant, of course) and was level 50, but had never done any task force before. I stood where the ITF PUG teams generally formed up and asked if I could join, admitting that I was new and had never done any task force before.

I was viewed skeptically by the tank forming the team (not everyone loved scrappers, as we all know). The tank began to explain to me that I needed some experience before joining a task force, perhaps thinking that my character was an AE baby. As he was doing this, his controller teammate interrupted him and said "look at his kill badges. He has killed everything on that toon)."

As a solo player I played all of the missions I could get, and I also loved to street sweep. And my scrapper was reasonably well-equipped. Not purpled, but well equipped. I had probably played that character for 500 hours already.

I was accepted onto the team, and I simply followed the tank and killed everything that he was taunting, once he got aggro. After that run, I was invited into his guild.

The memory stayed. Even in a very positive game like COH, players were suspicious of noobies. And of some archetypes or builds. I'm encouraging our community to give new people, and unusual builds, a try on teams. I will be doing this myself.

Sentinel King

Postby Sentinel King » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:30 pm

I'm encouraging our community to give new people, and unusual builds, a try on teams. I will be doing this myself.
Oooooh, does this mean there's hope for my version 2.0 of Captain Knockback? This was a CoX nrg/nrg blaster whom purposely slotted extra knockback into EVERY power possible. I remember it being one of my more fun toons as it was a different way of feeling super, but I also remember it being very lonely simply because of my name choice.

There was a very low tolerance on PuGs (and i *LOVED* PuGs for the variability!) for knockback...even the controlled, almost controller-level knockdown-lockdown that was hovering directly above a gaggle of mobs and endlessly energy torrenting them into the ground while teammates chewed through 'em.

Aaahh for the good ol days. I sincerely hope that SoH retains the same "multiple ways to play, have fun and meaningfully contribute to a team" that was so fantastic, compelling and ground-breaking in CoX.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Lol I would do invite you to my team just because of the name. :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Return to “Ask the Devs”