A formal request to exclude PvP

Solarverse

A formal request to exclude PvP

Postby Solarverse » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:09 pm

I know some people might read this and wonder what it is that I must be smoking...but hear me out.

When City of Heroes was released, the original players were worried that the game would eventually introduce PvP, which has a way of recruiting some of the worst personalities in the gaming world. Up until PvP was introduced to the game, City of Heroes was widely known for its great community. Once PvP hit, in came the influx of the rude behavior...and every veteran of that game noticed the change almost immediately.

Then came the sudden nerfs that did not make any sense to the veterans, because these nerfs started hitting the game BECAUSE of PvP. Travel Power Suppression being one of those nerfs. Elude getting the Nerf Bat was another. The PvE of the game, which was never intended for PvP straight from the get-go...suffered greatly because of the introduction of PvP.

It's one thing to read this and think whatever it is that you think...but had you actually been there, you would understand where this request of the Developers is coming from.

If PvP happens in this game, then so be it, I won't rage or anything over it, this is just one request among a mountain of others...a needle in a haystack.

Blaze Rocker

Re: A formal request to exclude PvP

Postby Blaze Rocker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 pm

I can agree with Solarverse's stance on PvP and PvE.

The introduction of the PvP systems in CoH brought with it a number of problems that didn't have to happen. This was because PvP was not mandatory. Changes were made and forced upon everyone when all that was needed was to separate PvP play from PvE play entirely, and a separation of the two is what I'm hoping will be done with SoH. With a separation the devs can be free to set limits and balance just as they like for one side without worry of upsetting the crowd that only plays the other side of the game.
When you defund the police, the terrorists win.

Red5

Postby Red5 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:17 pm

I have already said my peace on this subject and have even gotten a remark from Consultant himself about it.

But as a show of support, you are not alone in this.

X Red 5
...reporting in.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 pm

I concur. I've also made my feelings known. I have never been a supporter of PvP.

That being said, we might not have much of a choice. PvP will bring players to the game. CoH did some things right about pvp and some things wrong.

the right was they restricted it to certain zones. the wrong is they gave villains stalkers with no counter measure for heroes then they started nerfing other AT's to equal things out. nerfs that carried over to PvE. anyone remember the nice little mini game called re-toggle the Tank? or how suddenly 95% cap was too high and had to be lowered to make it fair. :/
Last edited by Golden Ace on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Actjcksn

Postby Actjcksn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm fine with no PvP. I much prefer the cooperative play to team up and take on the baddies, not attack other players. I would only do PvP for badges.
3) Expect the Plan to go off the rails...
4) ...Throw away the Plan

Codex

Postby Codex » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:16 pm

PvP in CoX caused a lot of my friends and SG mates to leave the game. Part of it was the nerfs but the toxic environment was also a big factor. One SG started trying to cause the Hami raids to fail so other players couldn’t get the special enhancements (damn, I can’t believe I forgot the name of those enhancements).
aka Backer 68

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:46 pm

To PvP or not to PvP ... that is the question...
My answer is I'd prefer to NOT have PvP ... that said ... Dev's you can put PvP into SOH but please kept is from PvE areas or you need permission to combat another player before any thing can start ...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Solarverse

Postby Solarverse » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 pm

PvP in CoX caused a lot of my friends and SG mates to leave the game. Part of it was the nerfs but the toxic environment was also a big factor. One SG started trying to cause the Hami raids to fail so other players couldn’t get the special enhancements (damn, I can’t believe I forgot the name of those enhancements).
Hammi-O's!

Obi-Ron

Postby Obi-Ron » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:22 pm

I must agree with the OP. In PvP games, balance is crucial, but very difficult to obtain, which results in constant complaints by PvPers. The result is that devs in PvP games are forced to spend an inordinate amount of time tweaking the game in a futile effort to achieve perfect balance. The resources consumed by this process could be used more productively, in my opinion.

And then there's the toxic element PvP introduces. I'm certainly not implying that most PvPers behave this way, but those that do can poison a community.

If the devs don't want a PvE-only game, maybe some sort of compromise could work. For example, LOTRO has Monster PvP where players can create monster characters to battle those player characters who wish to engage in PvP. Champions Online recently introduced the ability for characters to play monsters as well, albeit for brief periods. Both of these games are heavily PvE-oriented, and these nods to PvP play haven't seemed to damage the game or the community.

Gilbegger

Postby Gilbegger » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:54 am

I personally love PVP...but I dont want it to effect PVE which it always seems to do. If we cant have a seperation of the two I would be in favor of dropping PVP.

But...if you can balance the two and not have them interconnected then please include PVP if you are going to have any type of playable villains.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:25 am

I don't think exquisite balance will be an absolute requirement. Why? Because of the session settings that we can make!

Settings? Of what is this dog barking about? Consultant has said that one thing they want to do is let players set criteria for a match.

So you could have a match be unlimited mana, flight disabled and zero gravity. That sounds like a whole lot of fun to me, especially for a bunch of devastators.

How about a match with a 50% boost to melee damage and unbreakable taunt for 10 seconds? Very melee-centric match there!

What about a match with no personal regeneration? Defenders would be a must have (and the primary targets) in those matches!

So you could tailor a PvP match to make sure that no one is left out. I don't know what that would be, since it will take actual time in PvP to determine that. But PvE does not have to be affected, and it should still be possible (with a lot of trial and error of course) to make the game balanced without touching PvE settings.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Red5

Postby Red5 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:30 pm

I don't think exquisite balance will be an absolute requirement. ...
Those features sound dandy. I could be wrong but, I think the main issue....

We are constantly (frequently?) reminded how small the dev team is and how tight resources are and I think we majorly would rather see things like super jump, controller AT, (insert long laundry list here), etc. over any PvP efforts.

And again I could be wrong, but I think when people talk of balance they are majorly again speaking in terms of resources being taken from PvE for PvP primarily and trickle down effects (i.e. powers getting nerfed) secondarily.
...reporting in.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:32 pm

We are constantly (frequently?) reminded how small the dev team is and how tight resources are and I think we majorly would rather see things like super jump, controller AT, BASES! (insert long laundry list here), etc. over any PvP efforts.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:54 pm

I don't think exquisite balance will be an absolute requirement. ...

We are constantly (frequently?) reminded how small the dev team is and how tight resources are and I think we majorly would rather see things like super jump, controller AT, (insert long laundry list here), etc. over any PvP efforts.

And again I could be wrong, but I think when people talk of balance they are majorly again speaking in terms of resources being taken from PvE for PvP primarily and trickle down effects (i.e. powers getting nerfed) secondarily.
PvP is not scheduled to be in the game for at bare minimum a year, more likely two years. They want the PvE game in good shape and running smoothly with a fairly high level cap in place before they introduce PvP.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 pm

I do not enjoy PVP. If I wanted to go up against someone I would be outside playing basketball. I play videogames to be a hero I cannot otherwise be.
If it gets in game, I will do it just enough for badges and quit as soon as possible. I would be happier without pvp.

Return to “Ask the Devs”