A formal request to exclude PvP

Golden Ace

Re: A formal request to exclude PvP

Postby Golden Ace » Tue May 08, 2018 12:20 pm

*Takes a deep breath*

*Screams*

“AAAAHHHH!! PVP IS COMING!!!

*PANIC*

Seriously it’s two years away at a minimum, and maybe longer. Before it comes out I’m sure Casey will bring it to the forms so we will have an input. He knows what COH did wrong and they will not repeat the same mistakes. Of that I am positive. and this is coming from someone who hates PvP. I've just accepted the fact that SoH will have PvP. But if we're going to have PvP I want to ensure all the mistakes we encountered before do not happen here.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 pm

Yes please let pvp be done It needs to be in the game ...

I WILL NOT be partisapating ... but SOH does not revolve around me ...
Further note Please make PVP a "not a priority " but a thing for those who will come into the game and find after playing the game that there is other fun to be had ... besides trying to gank your fellow citizen's of " FHS Justice "
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

slacktech

Postby slacktech » Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Like many have said, PvP can, depending on the game design, cause problems in the game's community by the fact that PvP, by its very nature, requires 'balance' of classes/archetypes. I dislike PvP because of that and the rather toxic personalities it can attract.

I won't let the inclusion of PvP stop me from playing SoH, but I would be pleased to see it dropped (or take a while to make it into the game).

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:12 am

To PvP or not to PvP ... that is the question...
My answer is I'd prefer to NOT have PvP ... that said ... Dev's you can put PvP into SOH but please kept is from PvE areas or you need permission to combat another player before any thing can start ...
Indeed I agree with Eulb if PVP can be done separate and not effect PVE then OK. But I will have very very little in PVP play my self.
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

mereman

Postby mereman » Thu May 10, 2018 6:24 am

I'm not a PvPer but I was a member of a SG which did a lot of PvP. I even took part in a few if the team was short of a player, didn't enjoy it and I was so bad that after a while I stopped being asked :lol:
But if the PvP is as the devs indicate will be well marked and away from the PvE area I have no problem with it.
Still in mourning for CoH

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri May 11, 2018 3:49 am

I have a complete crazy thought right at the moment
Why not have the Villains at the same place as the heroes?
You know it kind of would improve the feeling of being a Villain, knowing that you can be seen any moment and getting in trouble

Before you guys ask, what that has to do with PvP - I will get to that soon ;)

I mean, when Heroes and Villains are completely sepparated you cheat the Villain from the experience of having to begin as a little street gangster being intelligent and stealthy to fight through the ranks.
My idea would be, that they walk among us and do their missions and attack NPCs (Civilians and "Police")
For the PvP Part I see two possibilities
1. A Hero names a nemesis - this Villain can attack the hero anytime (maybe, can be deactivated by entering the game from the hero)
2. A Hero attacks the Villain (only One on One except the Villain activates the possiblity to fight against more than one Hero - Villain decides that) on sight
Maybe the Villains could also have a stealth aspect which disappears as soon as the villain does something criminal.
The Villain might get a extra escape power which puts im back to a safe-house.
That would give the Villains a true kick and a realistic feeling, which is behind it (as I see it) and it would give the chance of PvP without disturbing anybody who does not want to be a part of it.
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » Fri May 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Instead of PVP zones in CoH, or challenging another player to instant PVP in a zone like the god-awful CO, would it be possible to just have an Arena system similar to what CoH had?

NO special zones, no nerfing or "re-balancing powers", just an arena where players can set battle conditions and face each other.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Sat May 12, 2018 5:47 am

To be a voice for pvp - I like pvp! I dont think pvp balance is so necessary. It could just be a fun thing for people to try if they'd like whenever. An open team or ffa pvp zone would be ideal, with cover objects, etc. Always having dueling possible, and give people an option to auto decline duel requests. Maybe have a few objectives in the pvp zone, like capture the unobtanium briefcase, assaults, or holding a position. But Id just let the pvp zone free and allow postapocalyptic gangs to run it.

Just a fun option, and certainly doesnt need to be so carefully balanced. Make it a continuous holodeck advanced tactical combat training program or something. Just let players fight players, who cares, it's fun. Some players could try to become pvp gods with pvp builds, let them.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat May 12, 2018 7:22 am

Yes please let pvp be done It needs to be in the game ...

I WILL NOT be partisapating ... but SOH does not revolve around me ...
Further note Please make PVP a "not a priority " but a thing for those who will come into the game and find after playing the game that there is other fun to be had ... besides trying to gank your fellow citizen's of " FHS Justice "
agreed. before PvP comes out we should have bases and personal lairs, 5 for 6 ship levels, and at least as many planets to visit. along with a plethora of emotes.

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Sat May 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Why? What's wrong with a few patches in including an open "combat training zone" map with some corridors, large areas, objects, whatever, where heroes could battle royale it? Maybe some rudimentary team-organizing code? No balance, just an option to pvp if people want to. What's wrong with this? Surely it'd be worth a bit of the developers' time. I don't think what I'm proposing here would take very much. More polished, complicated pvp could be added later, if desired.

Maybe you'd be worried players in an unbalanced pvp environment would start complaining and criticizing the game? A simple page of brief text explaining the situation would be enough to silence them - a page everyone would have to click "OK" to before they would be allowed in to pvp. Even in unbalanced situations, creative solo/team gameplay can emerge.

Edit: Perhaps there could be an instance for every 5 player levels. 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat May 12, 2018 9:55 pm

a few of us are worried about the negative issues associated with PvP

1. Negative community that is associated with PvP games. (SoH so far has a wonderful community and we would like it to remain that way).
  2. PvP affecting PvE (from past experience PvP has caused nerfs to PvE
I personally don't like PvP, and do not intend to participate. that being said We will have PvP. and I strongly believe that this team will make is so it does not affect PvE. and I can only hope the PvP community isn't going to be a toxic one.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat May 12, 2018 10:53 pm

If PvP is introduced without dueling, and without a PvP zone like Warburg, there won't be much, if any, toxicity. Arena PvP is not what a hardcore toxic PvPer wants - they want duels. They can use their max cap PvP oriented character and challenge a level 3, and maybe get lucky and he accepts by accident. That way they can win and then trash talk, then look for their next victim. If they cannot get duels then the next best thing is PvP zones. Those aren't as good, since most people don't go into PvP zones alone, they normally team up. But if that is all they can get... Then they stalk a group, waiting for a squishy to separate from the group that they can assassinate.

Arenas attract the occasional PvPer. They are looking for a quick battle, where anything goes, and they are very, very likely to be opposing other occasional PvPers, which means win or lose, you are very likely to have a good time. Toxic trash talking PvPers get bored of actually having to earn their notoriety in Arenas, especially since they can't really waste the time and resources to FOTM a character that is only used a couple of times a day for 10-15 mintues. They can do that in CoD or Battlefield.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Sun May 13, 2018 4:58 am

If we're afraid of toxic pvpers, how about, during the intro section, a page pops up that simply says, "Heroes can duel on the ship. Would you like to automatically refuse incoming duel requests? This option can be changed at any time." So that could take care of the dueling concern. Please allow dueling - it's really fun. Not including it just to prevent the rare player who spams and then trash talks after duels seems a bit overboard.

As far as picking off squishies in an open pvp zone, why not? As I suggested earlier, pvp zones could be instanced in 5 level increments. Level 1-5, 6-10, etc - so there's never a huge level gap. And come on, it's a pvp zone! Have another simple text page come up before entering it saying, "This is a ffa pvp zone. Our archetypes are balanced for pve, not pvp - and it's very possible you could be ambushed or defeated by yourself from others who are either in a group or 4 levels above you. This is just for fun. No rules here, so get creative! Rudeness is not allowed. Have fun!"

Maybe we're afraid some pvpers in a pvp zone might report others for rudeness when they're frustrated they've just been beaten, potentially taking a GM's time away from more important duties? To this I say accessing the chat logs at the time of the report won't take THAT long - and this will not be a hypercompetitive focused pvp environment like Call of Duty, so I imagine those kinds of people would be far fewer.

In conclusion, please don't remove dueling, and an easy ffa pvp zone could be just fine for a long while. Doesn't seem like there's much of a need to complicate it.

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:04 am

After reading this subject post. I'm sensing ever so slightly by just talking about PVP there is just a touch of toxicity already. ;)
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun May 13, 2018 9:18 am

After reading this subject post. I'm sensing ever so slightly by just talking about PVP there is just a touch of toxicity already. ;)
PvP does have a tendency to do that. :/

Return to “Ask the Devs”