Stone Skin.

ep_dorris

Stone Skin.

Postby ep_dorris » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:33 am

Please please please. If you do this, make it a full covering, and not a stone bikini as was "upgraded" to in COH.

lunawisp

Re: Stone Skin.

Postby lunawisp » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:07 am

Please please please. If you do this, make it a full covering, and not a stone bikini as was "upgraded" to in COH.
Its common knowledge that in an MMO the effectiveness of a female's clothing is inversely proportional to the amount of skin it covers...

Seriously though, I do hope we get some really nice "proper" costumes that don't fit into that category. I like a bikini as much as the next person but there's a time and a place for everything :)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:57 am

OK, so here's the thing. Each of us may have in mind what we mean by stone skin. Are we talking about something like the Thing in comics? Stone armor? animated stone golems from fantasy?

We're intrigued to hear a bit more about what stone skin would look like, exactly. I'm also getting a vide that maybe this replaces a costume, and is not underneath a costume, right?

The answers you guys post should be interesting!

There could be more than one workable answer, after all.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 am

But stone bikinis are so hot!

Seriously, I was not happy with the looks of Granite armor, before or after the 'fix'. It should have looked more like what The Thing looks like, or at least like Korg - we should at least see that the stoney is alive! And it should probably occlude the existing outfit, since making it work with the full range of costumes would be a nightmare, especially if it is only for one powerset..
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 am

for me being an old D&D player Stone skin was just that your skin turned to stone or became stone hard. your costume and everything else was still there. actually kind of pointless in a superhero MMO you could easily make the same effect in the costume creator. or maybe not. it would still be a visible change and people work hard on their costumes...

myself I prefer transforming into the Thing, but I can see the point in having the other as well.

One of my character's was Golden Tan he was a Stone/Fire Tank raised on a volcanic island and had a nice Golden Tan and his costume was swimming trunks. I disliked CoH's stone armors as they occluded the costumes. so for him I saw no point in doing anything other than a bathing suit.

I can see SoH having a use for CoH type stone armors, but it isn't for everyone. I think if we had 'Benjamin Grimm aka the Thing like armor' where you basically just bulked up to gigantic size and your skin turned to thing like stone (color should be changeable), and your costume expanded with you it would be the best of both worlds. So I'm thinking costuming would not be that big of an option as it would just basically change model size to gigantic and we should have identical costumes for gigantic models.

Edit: perhaps make the size also editable. for instance if you want a small thing instead of gigantic... say you are gigantic and your power up makes you a small rocky powerhouse instead. not for me, but I like the idea of an option. for the players.
Last edited by Golden Ace on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:27 am

Hmm, that's an interesting question, I must admit I hadn't put much thought into it.

Thin stone is very brittle and no use as armour. Thick stone would be really heavy. I suppose the only way you could get away with it without using some lore excuse about incredibly strong superheroes (umm) would be to make the entire character basically a lump of stone.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

ep_dorris

Postby ep_dorris » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:20 pm

It was a special effect. When Gold Helmet got into combat, he would switch costumes and go from a suit to bright shiny armor. But that was all cosmetic, with no game effects.

With the stone armor, it was an activated power, and would temporarily cover the user with gray rubble. When they modified that to still show some of the original costume, in my opinion, it made the whole thing look a bit cheesy.

Maybe a better option would be to simply turn the tune completely gray, as if turned into a statue?

I liked the original rubble, because it made it obvious there was a change, but it seems the opinion is mixed so I'll leave it at that.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:34 pm

It was a special effect. When Gold Helmet got into combat, he would switch costumes and go from a suit to bright shiny armor. But that was all cosmetic, with no game effects.

With the stone armor, it was an activated power, and would temporarily cover the user with gray rubble. When they modified that to still show some of the original costume, in my opinion, it made the whole thing look a bit cheesy.

Maybe a better option would be to simply turn the tune completely gray, as if turned into a statue?

I liked the original rubble, because it made it obvious there was a change, but it seems the opinion is mixed so I'll leave it at that.
I say give us choices.
  • transform completely grey/stone - costume too
  • transform completely grey/stone - skin only
  • bulk up / grow gigantic and transform into thing like armor but you still see your costume,
  • stay the same size and transform into thing like armor but you still see your costume,
  • CoH type armor that covers your costume.
Make it selectable by the player.

Edit: Put the transformation into a limited costume creator?
Last edited by Golden Ace on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

A1fighter

Postby A1fighter » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:10 pm

OK, so here's the thing. Each of us may have in mind what we mean by stone skin. Are we talking about something like the Thing in comics? Stone armor? animated stone golems from fantasy?

We're intrigued to hear a bit more about what stone skin would look like, exactly. I'm also getting a vide that maybe this replaces a costume, and is not underneath a costume, right?

The answers you guys post should be interesting!

There could be more than one workable answer, after all.
My initial thought was something like the Thing, but idk really. Maybe they talking auras. Confused tbh.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:01 am

I vote for more in the line of ... A " crystalline " look and yes all the colors that would come with a crystals ... maybe sapphire or emerald...

if different crystal minerals can be mixed with unobtainium in the 2nd reaction stage and grown in at hydrogen / fusion forage it would be so tough that it can be sued as armor plating ... or arcane armlet concentrators ... or ... ( yeah more products made by a crafter community )
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

twicebitten

Postby twicebitten » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:50 pm

I say give us choices.
  • transform completely grey/stone - costume too
  • transform completely grey/stone - skin only
  • bulk up / grow gigantic and transform into thing like armor but you still see your costume,
  • stay the same size and transform into thing like armor but you still see your costume,
  • CoH type armor that covers your costume.
Make it selectable by the player.

Edit: Put the transformation into a limited costume creator?
I came here to suggest the same: give the player choices. Why? I am not personally interested much in the lore of things in games. I am more interested in stats and building a "strong" high level character, but I understand people enjoy playing games completely different than I do, and I think thats great. That said, I don't personally care what the story behind the players stone skin means or what makes more sense, because it is purely graphical. Now If there was a difference in the statue stone skin vs the Thing stone skin vs change character the "stone" model, that would make me care about the different types. Otherwise, to me it is more of a thematic option for the player. In which it would be chosen in the character creator type setting when the power is earned, as others have suggested. That is my 2 cents!

Side note: Everything is looking great devs, I've been enjoying watching the progress you all have been making.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:53 am

says the dog wearing a cape ;)

By the way I like Eulbs idea with the colorable crystalline look (can be gray to look like stone too ;) )
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:26 am

says the dog wearing a cape ;)

By the way I like Eulbs idea with the colorable crystalline look (can be gray to look like stone too ;) )
I do also. Good Idea Eulb!

AxerJ

Postby AxerJ » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:04 am

Thirding Eulb's crystalline idea! Crystals are an awesome (and physically sensible?) manifestation of stone/mineral superpowers.

Consultant

Postby Consultant » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:49 am

Some of the crystalline look could be accomplished with armor -- we already have one of two of these.

Fortunately, there can be multiple ways to get a look.

Return to “Ask the Devs”