Super Group Bases and Personal Lair Suggestions

DarkestWish

Re: Super Group Bases and Personal Lair Suggestions

Postby DarkestWish » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:56 am

I would like to see the bases be located in different building instead of the portal that COH used. This will allow you to choose which area your super group is base in and the cost for your base could also factor in the type of area it is in.

Also if you could get one of the pizza company's to support on game allowing ordering so I don't have to leave the game to order my pizza. This could be done via stores located across in the city and could be a nice touch for coupons (dollars off) your order for completing missions.
This could also be used as a second source of income for the game with either a kick back from the pizza company or a small charge for the service.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:13 am

I would like to see the bases be located in different building instead of the portal that COH used. This will allow you to choose which area your super group is base in and the cost for your base could also factor in the type of area it is in.

Also if you could get one of the pizza company's to support on game allowing ordering so I don't have to leave the game to order my pizza. This could be done via stores located across in the city and could be a nice touch for coupons (dollars off) your order for completing missions.
This could also be used as a second source of income for the game with either a kick back from the pizza company or a small charge for the service.

yes I have always been a proponent of moving the SG base portal to a place of your choosing.

love the pizza idea too.

we just need a company to sign off on it.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:47 am

yes I have always been a proponent of moving the SG base portal to a place of your choosing.

love the pizza idea too.

we just need a company to sign off on it.
well I don´t mind that idea and it actually is kind of fun (though you would have to widen it for those who prefer chinese, greek or whatever) - still there is the danger that commercials would get their hands on the game and it would end up trying to sell us stuff we don´t need/want. That needs to be planned very thourougly so you don´t lose players who don´t like having to klick that they don´t like Coke or whatever or don´t want to look at a commercial on every second wall
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:49 am

Just a thought. there should be no rooms. just one big open space. give us interior wall and floor sections to divide it up how we want. Up-gradable to larger areas as we earn the dust / influence required. control, storage, power should be controlled by how large an area we can get.
Oh and I really like the idea of one room, because it gives us absolute freedom of deciding what size and form our rooms have. But it should be interior walls which go from the ground to the ceiling so that you have the feeling of seperate rooms :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:01 pm

I've been editing the my base again over at paragon chat.

and I started thinking of what SoH should be like

no rooms, just one big plot size as stated above, but give us wall and floor sections that we can use to build our own rooms.

then I started thinking about the two different types of bases in CoH. hidden vs secure and I thought about SoH.

I'm going to keep the hidden base locations, but instead of having secure base locations I'm going to say your own ship. while the secret locations will be square or rectangular, the ship will the ship will be round and start with being twice as high, giving you a vertical way to build, as you progress in ship sizes you go up to 5 levels. and a bit more girth around the middle.

So lets add a dimension of height to the old CoH base measurements

• Tiny Hidden Spot 8x8X1
  • Small Hidden Spot 8x12X1
  • Hidden Spot 12x12X1
  • Small Secret Location 12x16X1
  • Secret Location 16x16X1
  • Large Secret Location 16x20X1
  • Small Hidden Complex 20x20X1
  • Hidden Complex 20x24X1
  • Large Hidden Complex 24x24X1
  • Massive Hidden Complex 24x28X1
Now lets look at the size and type of ships for our ship/bases

• Scout 8x8X2
  • Patrol 8x8X3
  • Corvette 10x10X3
  • Destroyer 10x10X4
  • Cruiser 12x12X4
  • Battlecruiser 12x12X5
  • Dreadnought 14x14X5
  • Capital Ship 14x14X6
Thoughts?

oh and elevators as well several different types of stair cases.

Postby Avatar PDM » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:36 am

as usual I am fascinated how detailed your thoughts are :)
but just a short question - why round?

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 am

I was thinking rounded walls would give it more of a ship-like feel, rocket, etc. A square or rectangle just doesn’t scream ship to me. I have however rethought the shape. I was thinking maybe an oval if that is the case everything would have to be re-worked.

or perhaps an overlay...

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:54 pm

added a total size component and changed the ships around a bit.

• Tiny Hidden Spot 8x8X1 - Size 64
  • Small Hidden Spot 8x12X1 - Size 96
  • Hidden Spot 12x12X1 - Size 144
  • Small Secret Location 12x16X1 - Size 192
  • Secret Location 16x16X1 - Size 256
  • Large Secret Location 16x20X1 - Size 320
  • Small Hidden Complex 20x20X1 - Size 400
  • Hidden Complex 20x24X1 - Size 480
  • Large Hidden Complex 24x24X1 - Size 576
  • Massive Hidden Complex 24x28X1- Size 672
ship/bases
  • scout 6 X 12 X 1 - Size 72
  • Pinnace 7 X 12 X 2 - Size 168
  • patrol 8 X 14 X 2 - Size 224
  • corvette 9 X 14 X 2 - Size 252
  • destroyer 10 X 16 X 2 - Size 320
  • cruiser 11 X 18 X 2 - Size 396
  • battlecruiser 12 X 20 X 2 - Size 480
  • Monitor 13 X 22 X 2 - Size 572
  • Dreadnought 14 X 24 X 2 - Size 672
  • Superdreadnought 15 X 26 X 2 - Size 780

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:16 am

I was thinking rounded walls would give it more of a ship-like feel, rocket, etc. A square or rectangle just doesn’t scream ship to me. I have however rethought the shape. I was thinking maybe an oval if that is the case everything would have to be re-worked.

or perhaps an overlay...
Well, it is nothing which really is so important, that it would cause me sleepless nights but I don´t think the form of the outside does necessarily has to be round or has to be absolutely reflected by the room form. And actually when I think about spaceships I think about Star Trek or Star Wars and there is not that much really round around as I recall it. Just by the way, I have the fear that round also makes it more complicated to build since a lot of space would get lost - or if the material would be round two the devs would have a lot of extra work creating the stuff for the bases in building variation (with straight lines) and for spaceships (with round form)

Echo 6

Postby Echo 6 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:43 pm

WE should start with personal apartments that each toon can have for that all important extra storage,and decorations, or crafting stations ... but i would expect this to be in a future down load release's not at first maybe 9 - 15 months down the line. Then the DEV's could move to " Ship Super Group ( SSG ) " Base's.
I think this is a really good idea for the concept that we are being told about for Ship of Heroes.

Hopefully, in the long run we will be able to have something like this and a Super Lair in game.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 pm

I despise the term “personal apartment” I don’t want an apartment where I can change a couch to a lazy chair and it’s basically nonfunctional. I want a personal lair where I can control what they look like, have personal storage, command-and-control center, display cases etc. See the OP.

I believe champions online had apartments and they sucked. They were of absolutely no use. Let’s not repeat that mistake.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:20 pm

The housing or whatever you want to call it in Champions Online was a late afterthought. They looked really nice and you had some nice options for decoration, but they had no function at all apart from somewhere to hide away from the rest of the game world. I'm not sure what sort of functionality you could put into a personal house or mini base though. You have to be careful not to draw everyone away from the city - you don't want new players logging in and seeing a vast empty space. It's hard to dispell a poor first impression.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:00 am

The housing or whatever you want to call it in Champions Online was a late afterthought. They looked really nice and you had some nice options for decoration, but they had no function at all apart from somewhere to hide away from the rest of the game world. I'm not sure what sort of functionality you could put into a personal house or mini base though. You have to be careful not to draw everyone away from the city - you don't want new players logging in and seeing a vast empty space. It's hard to dispell a poor first impression.
Sorry, if I am little bit slow with thinking right now but what are you referring to with the empty space?

About the other part I don´t know what COs version looked like so I cannot say anything to it, but I want to mention that I prefer being careful with having the conclusion of something being a bad idea because it had bad feedback. Sometimes an idea is good but the outcome does not fit to the initial thought.
I understand and agree, that this is ship of heroes and not ship of sims and therefore it is neither the intention nor does it make sense, putting to much effort in such things.

But the thought could be something (for a way later part of the game), which should not be declined completely, because we might (hopefully) reach a number and age of the game that there will be people around who want to dive deeper into the experience of having a complete simulation of being a hero and the Devs already reached the point where gameplay improvements are more or less complete (I know, with a Universe to fill that will never happen complitely but I hope you know what I mean).
And we already have dayjobs and stuff like that (maybe along the way we also will have hobbies which influence our powers and abilities), so some might one day have the idea of it being nice meeting other players in a more private surrounding - and that they want to customize that surrounding (and that would lead to some kind of appartment/house).

Of course it would be kind of lame just having a place where you go in and thats it (though the architectural part of creating can be a short term fun anyway) but maybe it could be a personal decision of the players?
You can customize your personal "lair" and if you choose that you want to have a lair, in which a part is like your private appartment, so be it. Maybe they decide, that they do not need this or that room and instead would like to be more decorative, than creative freedom means lets have them their fun. And maybe some player would also be willing to pay a fee for having a bigger personal lair in which their personal appartment would fit in, who knows - I think it is important to keep an open mind about possibilities.

So, maybe you have a portion of your lair, which looks like a living room/kitchen combo - and behind a hidden door your lair starts with your computer equipment, your lab, teleporter and storage place :).
Or maybe you would have your appartment in which your base and equipment is hidden (like your lab can turn into your kitchen and vice versa - and your living room is your computer base etc).

Just a few fast thoughts :)
Oh and by the way: CoH Bases had quite a lot of stuff which was just for being there and nothing else too! For example in one of my bases I had three rooms which had a practical use (one was lab, one was teleporter/tech room and one was the storage room) and the rest was just decoration.
One room with computers and a huge round table - just optics.
One room as a trophy room - just optics
One room as a library - just optics
One room as a bar/leasure-time place - you know where I am going to ;)

So what I want to say with that is, that also with the old base system in CoH a lot did not fulfill a real purpose, so we should not stick to close to that principle of everything needs to have a deeper sense :) - sometimes the nice to see effect is all it is for and if it makes people having a good time and happy than it fulfilled its sense :)

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Sorry, if I am little bit slow with thinking right now but what are you referring to with the empty space?
I meant that I think it would be a bad idea to make personal bases so functional that there's no need to ever leave them except to fight. There'll be an auction house, crafting, etc. and if those are all duplicated in every personal base, the ones in the city will very likely be empty - that creates a poor impression for new players.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:59 pm

I meant that I think it would be a bad idea to make personal bases so functional that there's no need to ever leave them except to fight. There'll be an auction house, crafting, etc. and if those are all duplicated in every personal base, the ones in the city will very likely be empty - that creates a poor impression for new players.
I disagree with the concept. while I spent an enormous amount of time building my base, once it was build I hardly used it except for storing stuff I picked up. When I got enough stuff to build something I would use it for that. All that being said I can honestly say that once the base was built I spent less than 1% of my time in the base even though I had all the bells and whistles. frankly there is nothing to do in a base 99.9% of the time, and that's as it should be.

now when I was building the base I would spend weeks making things look just right. but base builders like me are not the norm. but once again, once built I was out and about with the rest of the server.

Return to “Supergroups”