Powers and Power Sets Suggestion Thread

Blaze Rocker

Taunt Effects

Postby Blaze Rocker » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 pm

You and the devs here can do anything you want with Taunt powers and effects. Outside of directed taunting abilities I neither know nor care enough about it to bother with when it comes to the powers and sets I create on my own. It is what it is and it does what it does. I think CoH handled things pretty well, even in its later years, to a point that if I made my own game I'd likely just mimic most of their methods of delivery and effects.

Now, when you are referring to Gauntlet what you are actually referring to is the natural degree of taunt/aggro that was delivered with tanker attacks, perhaps all melee set attacks. I don't know and I'm not looking it up. Under the right, or perhaps wrong, circumstances a well-enhanced fire blaster, even sidekicked, could out-aggro a tank without a directed taunt power, and sometimes even with a directed Taunt power. I can give you an example from my personal playtime from sometime between 2004-2006.

I was playing my Fire/Ice blaster and I was teamed with a tanker at least one level above me, perhaps a few. We were running an office mission against either Fifth Column or Council (both were interchangeable at the level we were running) and the tank was holding aggro quite well on his own. I had Flares, Fire Blast, Fire Ball, Fire Breath and Ice Patch and I knew just how to use them. Well ..... I thought I knew just how to use them.
I'd drop an Ice Patch under the herd the tank had neatly gathered and I'd watch the hilarity unfold as all the soldiers struggled to stay standing. I then proceeded to light up the group with Fire Breath and Fireball. It was then that things started going south as all my damage combined with the knockdown from the Ice Patch made me the herd's number one target despite the tank standing at the center of them all. All the bullets and grenades the herd could muster came right to me and down my health went. After the third time this happened, and I died at least once, the tank told me to knock it off and I had to go about defeating the herds the slow way.
Seeing as how my tanker partner was holding aggro so well back then I'm certain he was using Taunt on the herds. Seeing as how I got my ass handed to me for thinking I was god's gift to fire blasting we can see that taunt effects could be overpowered by the right mix of debuffs and damage.

So anyway, I hope you enjoyed the story. :D
Stop the spread of fake news. Don't share anything produced by CNN.

Consultant

Re: Powers and Power Sets Suggestion Thread

Postby Consultant » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:08 am

Yes we did. :)

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:26 am

Back to the serious stuff...

I forgot about that! Ice Patch was broken. Every time a bad guy slipped on it it generated 3 times as much threat as it was supposed to, and every time the bad guy slipped , it added more threat! It stacked to the sky! Once a blaster (the Controller and Tanker versions did not have this bug) laid that patch down, he was almost guaranteed to die if he was also doing damage.

Paragon Studios eventually fixed this problem... but until then, tanks felt helpless trying to keep Blasters with Ice secondary alive.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:40 am

Back to the serious stuff...

I forgot about that! Ice Patch was broken. Every time a bad guy slipped on it it generated 3 times as much threat as it was supposed to, and every time the bad guy slipped , it added more threat! It stacked to the sky! Once a blaster (the Controller and Tanker versions did not have this bug) laid that patch down, he was almost guaranteed to die if he was also doing damage.

Paragon Studios eventually fixed this problem... but until then, tanks felt helpless trying to keep Blasters with Ice secondary alive.
I did not know that. As a Tank with the ice secondary I wish I had that.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

olepi

Postby olepi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:32 pm

As an ice/ice blaster, I loved the little ice patch we got. Drop an ice patch, stack Frost breath and ice storm, and watch the show.

One of my favorite things about the ice/ice blaster is that there were a lot of controller type powers. Freeze ray, ice patch, storms, immobilize, slows, etc. I'm hoping SoH has that kind of crossover appeal.
2019: 42 years on the Net.

Dying Breath

Postby Dying Breath » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:21 pm

I think you have a decimal shift error: IIRC, Taunt multiplied tanker Threat by (1000*Taunt time remaining). I'm not disputing your recollection, but I think the power may have been significantly more broken than you're describing.

I think that brings up a very interesting question though: how hard should it be to break aggro?

I always found in CoH that it was extremely difficult to pull aggro from an active Tank, even one just spamming Taunt (with an active aura at least). I remember hitting a critical Assassin Strike on an Elite Boss that dropped better than a third of his health without pulling his attention away from the tank. IMO that's not really fun. I am prepared to be the minority once again, but CoH aggro control was IMO way too good.

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:03 am

that is, as I see it, a complicated question, because tanks are supposed to pull and keep the aggro and if we do something against it, the meaning of a tank could be compromised.
Maybe aggro from tanks could be with the need to conciously post it on a target/group so that a tank does only pull what he means to and if somebody does not want he can communicate with the tank and tells him to leave his/her targets alone.
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

PowerMan67

Postby PowerMan67 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:17 pm

My suggestion's would be to add some sort of regeneration power and a claw like fighting style, of course this is inspired by wolverine but it is a very powerful and visceral feeling in games to be able to go into a group of enemies take severe beatings heal it all back and attack with sharp claws. As for a blaster type something wind based being able use wind to such a degree that you hit like a mac track. It's not creative of course but it is a very fun set of powers.

Hudsoncat

Postby Hudsoncat » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Okay, i'll suggest powers/abilities, i'll tell everything i wanted to see in this game, i don't know what will be possible and what not, but i'll blow up ideas for you, lets interact!
Power suggestions:

----------FIRE

Searing Flight - engulfs caster with flames, then jump and strike the targer area, exploding everything in the AoE

Fire tornado - Summons a fiery tornado in the target area, the tornado lasts for X seconds and deal damage per second.

Fire Wall - Instantly creates a wall in front of the caster, apply burn in the enemies that get in contact with it, dealing X damage per second. Allies that get in contact with the wall gains a bonus ignite in basic attacks.

Hell Rising - Caster self explodes. The burst of the explosion stuns enemies near and deal heavy damage.

Fire Trail - throws a fire ball in the target point, dealing damage to enemies in line and leaving a trail of Fire in its path.

----------ICE

Ice sword - caster materializes an ice sword and use it to battle, the sword attacks slows target's attack speed and movespeed. Lasts X seconds.

Ice Punch - Engulfs caster's hands with a rough coating of ice and punchs enemies, knocking him away and dealing damage.

Cristal Impale - Stomps the ground, creating ice spikes around the caster, enemies affected are knocked up.

Cristalize - Covers self or an ally into an ice block, protecting it from incoming damage and healing a small portion of missing health.

Ice Lance - Materializes a sharp ice lance and throws on enemies, the lance has X% of chance of penetrate the target (penetration: slows the target and makes him bleed, losing health per second)

Ice carapace - Covers the caster with ice shards, increasing its armor and resistance to debuffs.

----------WATER

Scald - Gushs an scalding water breath, dealing damage to enemies in a cone.

Water fang - Summons a construct water shark that bites the targeted unit, constricting it.

Water orb - Surrounds self with an orb of water that roams around for X seconds, dealing damage to enemies or healing allies hited by the orb.

Double Tide - Summons two waves that travels to the targeted area, one coming from left and the other from the right, when they crash each other, stun enemies and deal damage.

Geyser Line - Summons a line of torrents that knock up enemies.

Bubble shield - Casts a water bubble to protect an ally or self.

----------WIND

Sonic Clap - Caster claps his hands with brute strength, creating a massive wind wave that deaf enemies, stunning them.

Twister - Raises two hurricanes that spins around each other, moving away any unit in their path.

Vortex - Creates a cyclone in front of the caster that sucks units, pulling them in a cone towards.

Atmospheric pressure - Blasts a dense air laver in the targeted unit, instantly knocking him down.

Tornado - Caster transforms into a Hurricane and travels to the targeted area, knocking aside any unit that comes in contact.

Cyclone - Summons a cyclone and throws it in a targeted unit, the cyclone knocks up enemies.

----------METAL

Iron Form - Caster body becomes metalized, making him invulnerable to debuffs.

Iron needles - Summons needles that pierce target's body, dealing damage and having a X% chance to penetrate.

Iron Storm - Surround self with iron shards, dealing damage per second to enemies near.

Metal Claw - Caster materializes an metal armblade and dashs to targeted units, slashing it.

Metal Sound - Caster crashs two metal shards, unleashing a powerfull sonorous wave that deafs enemies in an area.

Harden - Increases caster's defense.

----------ROCK

Rock Throw - Throws a heavy rock, dealing damage to the targeted unit.

Avalanche - Creates a rain of rocks that falls in an area, deals damage and has a X% of chance to cause a ministun.

Roll Out - Casters engulfs self with rocks and rolls to the targeted area, smashing everything in its path.

So here you've got some: Fire, Ice, Water, Wind, Metal and Rock powers. If you like the suggestions or want to see more i still have many ideas: electricity, light, mental, celestial, sand, poison/toxic, sand, solar, shadow (do not confuse shadow with darkness. Shadows like Noob Saibot and Zed from LoL, creating shadow clones, shadows constructs etc.)
Cya.

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:50 pm

The Rock throwing set, was it based on this?

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/robot- ... th-a-rock/
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

PowerMan67

Postby PowerMan67 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:22 am

The Rock throwing set, was it based on this?

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/robot- ... th-a-rock/
lmfao seems legit maybe make a power set that seems so useless it's actually not

Return to “Fan Creations & Roleplay”