Powers and Power Sets Suggestion Thread

Blaze Rocker

Powers and Power Sets Suggestion Thread

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 am

I've been talking a lot about my as-of-yet unposted Energy Blast set for Devastators (CoH Blasters) and Defenders and I figured it was getting close to time I finally posted my set for all to see. When I noticed there was no thread dedicated to actually suggesting or proposing power sets I asked GladDog and he said I should go ahead and make the thread. So... here is that thread.

Please use this thread for suggesting, proposing and the general requesting of powers and power sets for Ship of Heroes. When proposing powers please be as descriptive as you can by including information such as:

Delivery Methods: (Melee, Ranged, Target Area of Effect [TAoE] {includes standard Cone Range attacks}, Area of Effect [AoE], Point Blank Area of Effect [PBAoE], Target Location, Target Location Area of Effect [TLoc AoE], Beam {Cone Range to Cone Range over long distance})
Activation Methods: (Click, Toggle, Interruptible)
Damage: Type/s (Physical {lethal, smash}, Fire, Cold, Psionic, Energy, Negative Energy, etc.), General Levels of Damage (Minor, Moderate, High, Very High, etc.), Damage Over Time (DoT) duration if applicable, chance for additional damage and duration if applicable
Knock Effects: (Up, Down, Back) their magnitudes and chances for additional effects and magnitudes if applicable
Mezz Effects: (Hold, Sleep, Immobilize, Stun, Fear/Terrorize, Placate, Nauseate, etc.) their magnitudes and chances for additional effects and magnitudes if applicable
Other Effects: (Slow, Repel, +/-Defense, +/-Accuracy, etc.) their levels and possible durations
Other information such as recharge times, potential energy/endurance costs and power ranges

The following is the damage scale I have been going by when building powers and describing how much damage they do. If I need to change it in the future to meet what the developers are using I will make every effort to correct it myself.

Minor < Moderate < High < Very High < Extreme < Superior

I believe the original CoH damage scale went like this: Minor < Moderate < High < Very High < Superior < Extreme

The following is the Mezz and Knock Effect magnitude scale I have been using when listing what level of foe a power's effect will affect upon a successful attack. If I need to change it in the future to meet what the developers are using I will make every effort to correct it myself.

Mag 1 - affects Underlings
Mag 2 - affects Minions
Mag 3 - affects Lieutenants
Mag 4 - affects Bosses
~~~~~ - Elite Bosses
~~~~~ - Arch Villains

The following is one example of a power submission I might make:

Sniper Shot- "Ranged, Single, Interruptible" (150ft) Superior Lethal, Mag 2 KnBk, 90% chance for Mag 3 KnBk, Mag 2 KnDn, 90% chance for Mag 3 KnDn, Very High -Def, Accuracy bonus
Game Description: With your tactical rifle you take careful aim at a target's weakest area. Although activation of this shot is interruptible it has the greatest range and accuracy of your Tactical Rifle attacks. A successful hit deals superior lethal damage, reduces the target's defense and has a decent chance of causing knockdown.

You do not have to follow this example for power suggestions or proposals.
Stop the spread of fake news. Don't share anything produced by CNN.

Blaze Rocker

Plasma "Energy" Blast part 1

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Before I can get into my personal build for Energy Blast I'm going to have to talk about the damage type of the original 'City of Heroes' power set: "Energy"

Energy seems like a pretty simple classification right? On the surface, yes, it is. Unfortunately, it goes a lot deeper because Energy can describe many types of damage that aren't of a physical nature.
Wanting to learn just what damage types SoH would be using I asked GladDog for a list and this is what he provided.

Physical, Fire, Cold, Energy and Dark (Later: Nature, Psionic)

It's not a bad list by any means but it is incredibly simplistic, too simplistic in my opinion. A real conversation about superhero and supervillain powers will yield you a lot more specifics about the types of damage there are, how damage is delivered and what results from it.
In my final weeks with 'Heroes and Villains' I found a thread on damage types that began and ended before I joined the community, and I was fortunate enough to save the important parts of the discussion before my forum access was revoked. In preparation for posting my thoughts about all the damage types that were supposed to be open for consideration for "eventual use in H&V" I spent some time classifying everything into categories of the most relevance. In my opinion, what was "most relevant" was actual damage and that only fell into two categories, Physical and Energy, while everything else went into a third for Non-Damage.
The following is the last list I put together of all the energy-based damage types that were discussed. I will both presume and fully admit up-front that it isn't perfect and could use additional revision but it currently fits my understanding of common energy damages found in comic books and science fiction. Feel free to voice your opinions if you believe I have miss-classified something.

Energy Damage:
Electricity, Plasma, Fire/Heat, Cold, Radiation (Photonic/Light, Atomic), Astral, Quantum, Ion, Sonic, Psionic (temporary {illusory}, energy, telekinetic {lethal, smash, other}), Darkness/Negative Energy (spiritual???), Holy (spiritual???)

As I looked over the CoH Energy Blast set the silmultaneous delivery of energy and smashing damage caught my attention. One primary type of energy stands out as most being able to cause this kind of damage while still having the visible attributes of the CoH energy attacks: Plasma.
According to my science fiction sources plasma can vary in density as well as energy levels, and this sounded exactly like what I needed in order to adjust the old set into something new and more versatile.

The knockback caused by the attacks of the Energy Blast set could be both advantageous and an extreme annoyance depending on the situation the player found themself in. Because I'd played on teams with the power set myself, and as teammate to others that had it, I understood both sides of the "Love <> Hate Knockback" issue. While making my own set I wanted a way to be able to reduce the strength of the knock effects as I needed depending on the situation. When I saw the likely cause of the knock effects I felt the solution was rather simple, but I'll get to that momentarily.
Radiation Blast was a power set that also did energy damage, and most of the set's attacks caused no knockback. Aside from two powers that I view as "a little quirky", I believe the reason this power set caused so little knockback was the lack of smashing damage that the radiation naturally caused.
Understanding that knockback was usually delivered with Smashing damage I ran with the idea that smashing damage, or smashing effects, caused knockback to a significant enough degree that I felt that controlling that smashing damage should affect knockback output. Seeing as how smashing damage was delivered simultaneously with energy damage through the plasma I had to tie it all together, thus the Force Selector was born.

Continues in part 2

Blaze Rocker

Plasma "Energy" Blast part 2

Postby Blaze Rocker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:12 pm

The Force Selector is a two-button modifier that is intended to fit in a single-button power slot when gained by player selection upon leveling up. The two buttons gained by acquiring this ability will allow the player to adjust the density of their plasma attacks and change the independent levels of smashing and energy damage caused from successfully delivered attacks. These adjustments will also directly affect the magnitude of all Knock effects as smashing damage increases and decreases.
As plasma density is adjusted downward raw energy output is increased while smashing damage decreases along with the magnitude of Knock effects. As plasma density is adjusted upward energy output drops while smashing damage increases along with the magnitude of Knock effects. Although most users will primarily use the Force Selector to manipulate their Knock magnitude the adjustment of smashing and energy damages can be quite advantageous when combatting foes that may either have a strong resistance or a weakness to one damage type or the other.
Although I haven't fully decided how much damage is transferred with each click of the Force Selector I'm guessing that no more than one third of the total output from either damage type of each attack should be transferred to the other with one fourth being the minimum transferable amount. What I am certain of is that with each click of the Force Selector you will either be gaining or losing one magnitude level of Knock force with the limit being two levels either way. Subtracting two levels will allow you to completely eliminate Knock force from at least two powers from my Energy Blast set while leaving most others with an acceptably minimum amount. Increasing density to maximum will not only give you enough Knock force in the strongest attacks to send Bosses flying across a room but it will naturally come with the side effect of making you one of the most dangerous targets in sight so user discretion is strongly advised.

Those are the strongpoints and history of my Energy Blast set, which I now think I'll just call 'Plasma Blast' after the type of energy that it features. If the developers here like the idea of the Force Selector but want to tweak it some more they are welcome to do so to make it work for SoH.
Now it's time to move on to what you started reading for. For reference I'm including the damage scale and power magnitude scale I used to identify how much force a power applies to the target upon a successful hit.

My Damage Scale: Min < Mod < High < V~High < Extreme < Superior

Power Magnitude Scale:

Mag 1 - affects Underlings
Mag 2 - affects Minions
Mag 3 - affects Lieutenants
Mag 4 - affects Bosses
~~~ 5 - Elite Bosses
~~~ 6 - Arch Villains

Plasma Blast

1. Short/Quick Burst: "Single, Ranged, Click" Minor/Moderate (Energy, Smash), Mag 1 KnBk, Mag 1 KnDn

2. Plasma Volley: "Single, Ranged, Click" Moderate/High (Energy, Smash) Mag 1 Stun, Mag 2 KnBk, Mag 2 KnDn

3. Plasma/Plasmic Sweep: "TAoE-Cone, Click" Moderate (Energy, Smash) Mag 1 Stun, Mag 2 KnBk, 80% chance for Mag 3 KnBk, Mag 2 KnDn, 80% chance for Mag 3 KnDn

4. Thumper: "Single, Med-Long Range, Interruptible" High/Very High (Energy, Smash), Mag 3 Stun, 10-20% chance for Mag 4 Stun, Mag 4 KnBk, Mag 4 KnDn, could optionally be made a TAoE attack

5. Build Up/Charge: "Self, Click" +DMG, +Accuracy (3-5 seconds)

6. Air/Overhead Burst: "TAoE, Click" Moderate/High (Energy, Smash), Mag 1 Stun, Mag 3 KnDn

7. Disorienting Shot: "Single, Ranged, Click" Minor (Energy, Smash), Mag 3 Stun, 5-10% chance for Mag 4 Stun [optional], Mag 1 KnBk+KnDn [optional]

8. Force Selector: "Self" Adjusts damage output from energy to smashing or smashing to energy while simultaneously increasing or decreasing Knock force magnitude with smashing damage output.

9. Focused Bolt: "Snipe, Interruptible" Superior (Energy, Smash), Mag 3 Stun, 80% chance for Mag 4 Stun, Mag 3 KnBk, 90% chance for Mag 4 KnBk, Mag 3 KnDn, 90% chance for Mag 4 KnDn

10. Plasma Stream: "TAoE-Beam, 90', 10° Cone - 15° Cone" Very High/Extreme (Energy, Smash), Mag 1 Stun, 90% chance for Mag 2 Stun, Moderate/High Repel for duration

And there you have it, the set I've talked so much about for nearly a week. Something to note that you might be curious about are the dual listings for Knockback and Knockdown in nearly every attack that features Knockdown. I had it in my mind that not every foe's natural resistances were the same and resistances to Knock effect were no exception. I figured you might encounter one foe that would be resistant to Knockup but not resistant to Knockback or Knockdown. The same could go for any Knock resistance. Since most of the attacks in the Plasma Blast set are delivered horizontally I assumed that even if a target had a resistance to one effect there was a small chance they might not be able to resist both so I made sure to include them so the player always had a chance of getting some movement.

So what are your thoughts? Did I go too far, not far enough or did I not go in the right direction at all? Let me know what you think about this set and if you would like to see more of my work.

JestersGhost

Re: Powers and Power Sets Suggestion Thread

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:48 am

I like the concept of having a powerset that lets you change the distribution of damage types - like you say, the power that comes from choosing the right damage type for your enemies is very useful. I'm not sure if that doesn't make it too powerful without lower base damages, but that would be very situational I guess.

And allowing knockback to be tuned is a great QoL feature.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Galvanite

Postby Galvanite » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:34 pm

I was reading this thread and then had this idea for a power,

Condensed Plasma Sphere
  • A condensed ball of plasma held together for a set duration(up to 6 seconds) that flies in the forward direction of the player.
  • When the Condensed plasma ball has been flying for 6 seconds it explodes, causing area damage and leaving a moderate size puddle of magma to burn your foes for a set duration(6 seconds).
  • The player may cause the condensed magma to explode prematurely by pressing the power button again before the 6 second mark, but must wait at least 1 second before doing so.

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Galvanite
I was reading this thread and then had this idea for a power,

Condensed Plasma Sphere
  • A condensed ball of plasma held together for a set duration(up to 6 seconds) that flies in the forward direction of the player.
  • When the Condensed plasma ball has been flying for 6 seconds it explodes, causing area damage and leaving a moderate size puddle of magma to burn your foes for a set duration(6 seconds).
  • The player may cause the condensed magma to explode prematurely by pressing the power button again before the 6 second mark, but must wait at least 1 second before doing so.
That's a neat idea.
It could be spinning or have energy rings surrounding it to keep it together. The sphere could even be guided around corners and cause aggro. Any impact to it could destabilize the sphere and cause it to burst which does some moderate damage, minor Knock effects and whatever else that you like.

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:28 pm

My wife loved playing a dark defender, I played a scrapper; as a duo we cleared a lot of COH content.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Blue Yankee you had me at " My wife loved playing ..." when you wrote
My wife loved playing a dark defender, I played a scrapper; as a duo we cleared a lot of COH content.
The community will be way better off from what you posted ... you made many comments that do fit into the SOH atmosphere very well ...
in your posts you and our spouse plays together that is one of the best thinks too ... to build community ...

We have a little in common My wife " Penniguin " played COH all most as long as I have ... and sense the game revel she is jones-ing for the launch date ... But were enjoying the community building for now ...

one more thing ... Do you have a thing for BLUE ???
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:27 pm

The community will be way better off from what you posted ... you made many comments that do fit into the SOH atmosphere very well ...
in your posts you and our spouse plays together that is one of the best thinks too ... to build community ...

We have a little in common My wife " Penniguin " played COH all most as long as I have ... and sense the game revel she is jones-ing for the launch date ... But were enjoying the community building for now ...

one more thing ... Do you have a thing for GOLD???
Fixed that for you Eulb :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:42 pm

You ever watch the movie 'Blue Thunder'?

I think Blue Yankee is implying/intending a definition of the word "blue" that isn't related to color, such as uncompromising, profane or risqué.

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:09 pm

I think I played with Penniguin. I took the name to be a reference to the Adam West movie pseudonym.
I wanted to play a patriotic hero, so I picked Yankee but that was taken. Most of the costume was blue, so the name was natural.

one more thing ... Do you have a thing for BLUE ???

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Blue Yankee ... ty for the return post ...
I think I played with Penniguin...
... Most of the costume was blue, so the name was natural.
My wife Penniguin Played on Liberty server and she was a Ice / Ice blaster ... so i don't know if you have played with her ...

I was referring to your toons color " Blue " yes My toons color was blue also ... and if you didn't notice my on line persona is " Eulb" ... thats Blue Backwards " and the phonetic pronunciation is "ooohlub "

and its grate to here from you please continue your forum activity its just really just encouraging...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

ep_dorris

Postby ep_dorris » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:02 pm

We need wall climbing/running! Never got it before. Imagine if the baddies could attack from the ceiling!

Blaze Rocker

Postby Blaze Rocker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:28 pm

ep_dorris
We need wall climbing/running! Never got it before. Imagine if the baddies could attack from the ceiling!
That would be nice to see.

Adman123

Postby Adman123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:06 pm

Transformation: I feel like most superhero MMO's don't do this right. It should allow you to design your transformation and it's benefits/powers. For example, let's say I want to be a Captain Marvel type who appears as a teenage boy until I say the magic word. I should be able to create my base form and choose transformation as a power. From there I enter another sort of character creator where I create the secondary form and it's powers. That form could be a big, buff, green fella or a superman look-alike with flight and strength.
From CoH -> to SoH :D

Return to “Fan Creations & Roleplay”