Signature Powers

GladDog

Signature Powers

Postby GladDog » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:15 am

My perma power idea posted in the poll thread a little more expanded…

These would be called Signature powers. You get one at level 15, 30 and 45. Or maybe at 20, 40 & 60. These powers do not use Augments. Instead, they use signature points. Each of these powers has multiple paths, accepting a maximum of 10 points. At that point it becomes an Elite Signature Power. While these powers add a lot to your character, they come at a cost.

The points are earned from rare events; A selectable reward for a Task Force, a Giant Monster subjugation, or a successful Invasion event. There may be other ways to earn them, maybe as part of the reward for an important mission arc, or possibly crafted from rare ingredients. However you earn them, they are rare and typically it takes a month or more to earn the 10 you need to make a sig power elite.

The powers start humbly but become more valuable as you slot them up. An example would be (keep in mind these are just suggestions; if this idea was accepted the final numbers would only be finalized by extensive testing);

EAGLE EYE IMPLANT

This toggle power begins as an accuracy buff of about 10%. From there you have the following improvements you can make. Each improvement can only accept 3 points.

1 – Increase accuracy – 3% improvement per point. If you max this you get an additional 6% accuracy for a total of 25% improvement.
2 – Increase damage – 4% improvement per point. If you max this you get an additional 3% damage for a total of 15%. Improvement. This reflects the improved precision of you strikes.
3 – Increase crit chance – 1.5% per point, with an additional 1.5% if you max it for a total of 6%.
4 – Reduced endurance cost – 11% per point. Maxing this makes the power inherent, no longer needing to be activated and using no endurance.
5 – Increased mez effects – 9% per point. This increases the chance for a mez effect to strike, or if the effect never fails, increase the duration of the effect. Maxing this gives a bonus of 6.3%, for a total of 33.3% improvement. This improvement also helps taunt effects.
6 – Increased mez resistance – increases mez resist to all mez effects by 1 per point invested. Maxing this adds an additional point for a total of 4. For comparison a tank in CoH had a mez resist of 13.1 to most effects, and a scrapper had 9.7. This reflects your increased situational awareness.

Once you invest 10 points the power locks and you add 5% accuracy and 5% damage. There is a cost, however. Once you lock this power you can no longer use Buildup.

HASTEN DEVICE

This click power reduces the recycle rate of all powers by 25%. It has a 30 second duration and a 60 second recycle. This takes the following improvements;

1 – raises the recycle rate buff by 6% per point invested. Maxing this adds a bonus of 7% for a total of 50% improvement in recycle rate.
2 – recharge rate of Hasten is reduced. One point reduces the recharge rate to 45 seconds, 2 points reduces it to 30 seconds, making it perma capable, and three points makes it a passive power.
3 – Adds defense – your improved speed makes you more agile. 1.2% defense is added per point invested. Maxing this adds 1.4% defense for a total of 5%
4 – Increased run speed – Run speed is boosted by 14% per point invested, with an additional 8% added if you max this, for a total of 50%.
5 – Adds Damage resistance – Your exceptional reflexes allow you to minimize damage a bit by causing an attack to glance off instead of striking solidly. Each point adds 1.2% Damage resistance to all damage types. Maxing this adds 1.4% for a total of 5%.
6 – A click that resets all power recycles on any power with a base recycle under 40 seconds. Any powers that have a higher recycle have half of it shaved off. This power is on a 10 minute timer. Each point invested lowers the recycle by 1.5 minutes. If you max it, there is a bonus 1.5 minutes lowering the recycle to 4 minutes. This power is not affected by the recycle rate buff from Hasten.

Once you invest 10 points the power locks, you get a run speed bonus of 10%, a universal defense buff of 2%, and all recycle augments slotted in powers have their rate reduced by 33.3%

Other signature powers that are possible;

Damage
Damage Resistance
Situational Awareness
Permanent Travel Power – perhaps a summonable jet cycle or a hoverboard
Healing Buff
A Mule Pet
A sidekick
Controller improvements
And so on!

After I listed this idea in the Perma Powers thread, I realized this may be better as a replacement for the Incarnate system from CoH.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

JestersGhost

Re: Signature Powers

Postby JestersGhost » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:54 am

I was always in favour of a complete "build your own" signature power using point-buy. Hard to balance, but I like the additional freedom it offers.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Balance is only important in PvP. And honestly, if you see how PvPers analyze data to get the smallest edge, you would see that it doesn't matter how you try to balance for PvP, it is a losing battle.

I agree with you Jester, and not just with this idea. Don't let PvP ruin PvE!

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Don't let PvP ruin PvE!
Words to live by

I’m actually in favor of having a separate set of powers for PVP- Powers that are named, look and act the same but the damage and secondary components are altered a bit for PVP zones to make them “balanced”.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Speaking of PvP...

I had a thought. What if the Justice, while on its tour of exploration, found a derelict Heroship? This 16 section ship still has her power sections operating, but the engine section has been mutilated to the point it can't be saved. The bridge section is completely missing and shows signs of having been blown off in a massive explosion. The Justice sends over a team to see what is going on there, and they are stunned! The ship has been immobile for 50 years, and the conditions inside are deplorable. Many heroes have abandoned their ideals and taken over the upper levels of the ship as super villains. The equivalent of Apotheosis City is still relatively pristine. The Justice Corps has taken a stand and is protecting this area adamantly. The population is very high in AC, and very low on every other level. Villains and gangs rule the other areas. But, there are still millions of people in the upper levels, fighting for their existence. Once the situation is ascertained, the Captain of the Justice tows the ship to a nearby allied world and sets it in orbit. There the planet assigns large groups of heroes and hero candidates to the task of reclaiming the Heroship Defiant.

The Justice sets up a teleportation station so they can send Justice Corps and Hero groups to help clean up the Defiant. Section one is firmly controlled by heroes. Sections 2, 3 & 4 are contested (PvP) areas, and sections 5-16 are controlled by Villain groups, with section 16 being completely under villain domination The closer the villains get to section 1, there are more and higher level heroes encamped.

So this would be the villain ship, and sections 2, 3 & 4 are the PvP areas. Also, the Villains send a large force to take over an island chain on the world they are orbiting, which is both the high end villain area and a large island with a teleporter building that is connected to the Justice, that is heavily contested (PvP zone). This section would be the expansion area for when the level cap exceeds the ship areas ability to level up the villains.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Let's not drag PvP into this thread, we'll only derail it :) Particularly because, no, balance matters always.

You might say it doesn't bother you, and sure, some people can ignore balance issues better than others, but it will affect your enjoyment, even if subconsciously.

Yeah, I enjoy making "bad" builds work, but the fun is figuring out ways to them as good, ie. bringing them back into balance.

It'd be more interesting if /every/ choice was balanced to start with, because then it's purely my choice that matters. Which is the reason why I like the idea of customisable powers, because then they're mine, and my choices. But the moment some choices are objectively "better" from a numbers point of view, it's not just my choice that affects my decision. Which is why I am so damn focused on balance in all my posts :)

indigowulf

Postby indigowulf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:36 pm

I want a signature flight when I someday remake my old CoH main, Morbigon- the tiny dragon that was born literally from the nightmares of a CoT mage. She was ill/emp and adorable and so fun to play. I'd love to make an always on flight for her that works something between flight and hover- can be used for travel but can slow down while in combat. Ignores ground abilities, takes almost no end while in slow mode. It would actually be really cool to get that power with a character costume option that's legless.. like a ghost/wraith or something.. a character that more "drifts" than walks. Would also be great once wings come out, to make a pixie that almost never stands, ala Tinkerbell.

~indigowulf global, SG Feral Storm (future founder!)

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:58 am

I teemed early on in CoH's life with someone RP'ing as a fae who refused to touch the ground, and would make complaints if ever she was knocked down about being all dirty and ewww :)

A "legless" character option would look cool, but would be very weird if you saw them get leg swept by a martial artist and fall over if they weren't using flight :)

Return to “Fan Creations & Roleplay”