What is your character's backstory?

Eulb

Re: What is your character's backstory?

Postby Eulb » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:17 am

That's only one of Many characters I had/have, Astarte Tsovinaar, 10-thousand year-old priestess of the Goddess.
https://orig15.deviantart.net/4424/f/20 ... 3c4a.jpgBe Well!Fireheart
Thank you Fireheart that was a grate back story , short and to the point.... with meaning WOW
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Fireheart

Postby Fireheart » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks Eulb. City of Heroes had a limit of 1023 characters in the biography. This led to some triteness, a lot of frustration, but also some creativity. I found that 'poetic' forms allowed me to pack a lot of meaning into that tight space. I do have some characters with multi-page stories, but Astarte was one that was 'born' in the short form and I've never tried to write it longer.

Be Well!
Fireheart

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:58 pm

never counted the backstory characters space ... i believe you ... when we get into game ill have to consult you " Fireheart " for advice with my back story

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:20 am

Sam Masters. The name was buried with his former body. A hard-working, honest man. He worked construction until that fateful day. He was working a demolition project when a wall gave way. He was buried alive. By the time workers could reach him it was too late. It was a nice funeral. He had a nice grave plot in the cemetery, next to a stream. Unfortunately, that stream stemmed from a river near a Crey Industries manufacturing plant. Suspected, but not yet proven, Crey had been dumping it’s chemical waste in that river. The toxic soup from that stream had seeped its way into Sam’s grave. A mixture from many projects going on at the lab, this formula created a breakthrough Crey would never discover. Sam’s cells began to regenerate. He was “alive”. But, he wasn’t. There was no heartbeat, no blood circulating. He was cold, but his mind was on fire. His muscles grew stronger by the minute. He found himself digging his way out of his grave. It felt like it was the next day, but in reality, it had been four months. It was the middle of the night, but there was only one place he wanted to go. He needed to see his wife Sarah. The spare key was still in the fake rock in the flower garden. He entered and staggered down the hall to the bedroom. He called out to her. She stirred. He had his arms outstretched. He just wanted to hold her again. But, the happy reunion never happened. Sarah’s eyes widened in horror as she stared at the shriveled husk of what was once a man. He tried to tell her it was alright and got closer, only to be stabbed in the eye with a pen from the nightstand. His mind was swirling, he didn’t know what he was doing. His hands grew colder as a dark energy emerged, wrapping his former wife in dark tendrils. He watched as Sarah twitched and shook until she fell back on the bed, not moving. He didn’t know if she was alive or dead. He burst from the house, only to find himself hunted and shot at. Bullets flew right through him. He found his way back to the cemetery. He was angry. He was a miracle, not a monster! He slammed his fists into the ground. This time he felt heat in his fists as if some energy was coming from his body. Within moments, two decayed corpses rose from their graves. These were his people now. The rest didn’t understand. He was Sam no more. He was The Grave Robber. He adapted a new philosophy, “Life is wasted on the living”. He would let no living person get in his way. He would turn them all into “his people”. A daunting task; however, he had nothing but time. The overpopulated Earth soon seemed to be too much and Grave Robber eventually made his way to the Justice. This would provide a confined enclosed population for his task, or perhaps he could find an uninhabited planet to call his own. After all, even surrounded by animated corpses, Grave Robber was still, very much, alone.

PowerAce

Postby PowerAce » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Wow! We have a lot of great writers aboard.

So while many back stories take place in the same continuum as CoH. I have my original bio from 2004. But I think I'm going to go with the alternate universes idea for a fresh start. So here is my main character bio revised for the SoH universe . It's cheesy I know. Lol

"Ace" starship pilot, Colonel John Alexander was the lead test subject for a new space exploration suit code-named "Power". The "Power" suit experiment was funded and overseen by the FHS Justice Science Division. It was designed to grant addtional protection from the rigors of space and provide oribtal re-entry capability in case of an emergency. It was during a final test that Col. Alexander was captured by a Nagdelian raid while testing the Power suit in space outside the FHS Justice.

The Nagdelian raid was repelled by enhanced humans defending the FHS Justice. Following the failed raid, Nagdelian scientists were tasked with studying the effects of dust on humans and finding a way to counter the enhanced humans or provide the same capability to their own species. The experiments successfully endowed Col. Alexander with great strength and resistance. But the Nagdelian scientists were not able to devise a way to counter or recreate the benefits of contact with dust.

The only reason Col. Alexander was allowed to live was his knowledge of the FHS Justice. Torture and interrogation by the Nagdelians left him barely recognizable as human. One thing the Nagdelians didn't count on was the strength of the human spirit to persevere. Tortured and mutilated, Col. Alexander refused to give in to the Nagdelians. Taking advantage of the confusion during a subsequent raid on the FHS Justice, he managed to escape and with the Power suit he battled his way into open space and return to the FHS Justice.

Upon returning to Apotheosis City, the best physicians could only offer slight improvements to his appearance. The damage was too great. Col. Alexander requested to keep the Power suit. It had become much like a second skin covering his mutliated body and shielding others from his horrid appearance. In lieu of his service and patriotism, the FHS Justice Science Division agreed and released him from service honorably.

Free to choose what to do with his life, Col. Alexander sought out the Justice Corps to see if he could help by using his new abilities to defend the FHS Justice and prevent anyone else from suffering as he had. Taking up the name "Power Ace", he uses his powers to fight for those who cannot defend themselves.
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:59 am

Good to see some character stories that directly integrate with this game's lore - the rest of us have all cheated and left our backstories kinda bland so they fit anywhere :)
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Galactus55

Postby Galactus55 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:03 pm

This was a repeat I must be suffering from OLD!
Time to go eat a planet.
Last edited by Galactus55 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
May your frame rate be HIGH
And your Temperature LOW

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:52 am

James Vale, for the most part, had a normal life at the start. The one thing that seemed to be a constant was, no matter how bright the day was, James always sensed a dimness he could not explain. This continued as he entered his college years. He would experience instances at night of what he perceived to be dark dreams. These dreams were not filled with evil images, but were just being in complete darkness. He could hear disembodied howls and would feel intense cold. He felt strange tendrils wrapping his body. Suddenly he would be awake in his room. One night, he lied awake in bed. Light from a full moon bathed the room from his window; however, it still seemed dim to him. This time the light was not just dim. It was growing darker by the minute. He could sense a coldness and soon he was enveloped in complete darkness. This was not a dream he was awake. He had not fallen into a dream world. He believed it to be another dimension, the Dark Side as he called it. Again, he could feel the tendrils, hear the horrifying moans. The cold became so intense it began to burn. He struggled through the pain. The sounds were driving him mad. He couldn’t move. It was like he was being slowly consumed. After struggling for what seemed like an eternity, he calmed his body and instead just tried to focus his mind and ignore the pain. He focused on an image of light in his mind, a candle, a campfire, the sun, anything. Suddenly he found himself thrown in a heap to the floor of his bedroom. Shaking, he looked up to find the room empty. He staggered to the streets and made his way to the hospital. Through all the doctor’s questions, he soon discovered two years had passed. He was unable to explain what happened to him. He also could not explain the black frostbite-like marks all over his body. He eventually recovered and slowly learned to focus his mind to keep himself in this dimension. He could also open small pockets of the Dark Side. He studied physics trying to learn more about the possibility of other dimensions. He soon like others adopted a hero persona using his powers to help others. He shortly decided to form a team to help others dealing with powers they didn’t understand. Taking on the name of Ace of Spades, he formed the House of Cards. He now reaches out to others struggling to understand their power, and how to best use them. Still, he needs to keep a constant focus for fear of being lost to the Dark Side forever.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:04 am

There are some great background stories here. I've enjoyed reading them. Here's mine in outline, for a character I haven't even given a heroic name yet...

-----------------------------------

The ship was Alice's home. It had been for as long as she could remember. Like all the teenagers of her age that she knew, she had been born on the Federation Hero Ship Justice. Looking out of the huge windows at the stars in broad daylight was as natural to her as staring up at the night sky had been to her ancestors and her senses barely registered the ever present hum of engines deep in the bowels of the ship.
Like her parents, Alice had a love of everything technical but, unlike them, she had an insatiable thirst for knowledge. While at school, she jumped at every chance to go on field trips around the various departments of the ship. Alice's story starts on one of those trips...

"As you know," the researcher told the little group huddled around her, "the discovery of Unobtanium changed the direction of human kind for ever. It gave us the power to explore the galaxy and to reach for the stars."
Alice leaned across the waist high barricade as far as she could and peered through a tiny porthole.
"Alice," a harassed teacher yelled. "What are you doing? Be careful girl!"
"I just wanted to see," Alice protested, trying to pull herself back upright. She overbalanced, however, and fell over the barricade, landing flat on her face.
Laughter from the rest of the group echoed off the metallic walls till the teacher put a stop to it.
"Quiet!" he yelled. "Alice, get back over here."
The researcher looked on with amusement. She remembered her own curiosity at that age. "It's ok," she said, "there's nothing dangerous down here. The Unobtanium in that capsule is just for research purposes. It's a tiny amount and it's held in a magnetic field behind three inch thick glass for safety."
The group followed the researcher out of the room where she handed them over to one of the engineers. He introduced himself as Clive and told them to follow him and not to touch anything.
The group trailed along behind him through corridors they had never before seen towards the rear of the ship.
"Where are we going?" one of the other pupils asked Alice.
"Didn't you read the notes?" Alice replied. "We're going to see the engines." The other girl nodded, Alice always knew.
"What's in those?" Alice pointed to some large vats being pulled along slowly in a train.
Clive looked. "Oh, those are vats of pure Unobtanium. We store it down here, as far away as possible from the living areas of the ship."
"Is it dangerous then?" The teacher sounded a little alarmed.
"No more than any other fuel."
Alice, unseen by the others, chose to hang back. She wanted to see inside one of the vats as they moved slowly across the floor.
She walked alongside one of the large vats, stretching up on tiptoes to try to see through a porthole. She was was so engrossed in the vat that she didn't notice the compartment doors close behind the group as they moved on. It was at that moment that a chain way above broke, dropping another identical vat hundreds of feet.
Alice heard the loud crack and looked up. She managed to jump out of the way of the vat but, not built to take such punishment, it cracked open when it hit the floor. The entire compartment was instantly flooded with Unobtanium dust.
Alice was covered with the fine particles. They were in her hair, her eyes, her ears. The stuff coated every inch of her skin. It found its way under her fingernails and, unable to hold her breath, her lungs were soon also contaminated. She passed out.

"Physically she seems fine."
Alice awoke slowly, an unknown voice hammering at her senses.
"Will she be alright?"
Alice recognised her mother's voice.
"To be honest," the doctor said, "I've never seen such a high exposure. She might as well have gone swimming in the stuff. All the tests show that every cell is infused with Unobtanium. Theoretically, she shouldn't actually be alive but none of the tests show any damaging effects to her body. It's really quite remarkable. It seems to be actually protecting itself against any adverse effects. I'd quite like to have her body, for research purposes you understand."
His joke fell flat.
Alice tried to move. She winced.
"Ah, she's awake. Can you hear me Alice?"
"Why are you shouting?"
She started, alarmed at the volume of her own voice. She opened her eyes then instantly closed them again. "Why's it so bright in here?"
"Hypersensitivity," the doctor wrote onto his little pad. "Don't worry. It'll pass. Probably."
"What happened?" she whispered.
"There was an accident in the loading bay and you received a dose of Unobtanium. Don't worry though, you'll be fine."
Over the next few days, Alice rapidly regained her strength. She was allowed to wander around the hospital once they'd verified that she wasn't going to spread her contamination around; her body seemed to be containing it, something they'd seen before but very rarely.

A commotion caught Alice's attention and, being Alice, she had to go and see what all the fuss was about. A man, barely conscious, had been brought into the hospital and the surgeons were preparing to remove his shattered leg. Seems there'd been a serious accident in one of the bays.
Curiosity aroused, the girl wandered up to him unnoticed by the busy doctors. The man's eyes flew open. The first person he saw was Alice. He grabbed her hand and gripped it tightly.
"It hurts," he complained. "I can't take the pain. Do something."
Alice looked down at his leg, almost completely severed below the knee. She gagged at the sight but pulled herself together. As she stared, something stirred deep within her.
I can do something about this, she thought.
Alice stared at the man’s leg, fighting her impulse to look away. She allowed her abnormally sensitive senses to take over. She saw every nerve in the broken leg, she saw the chipped bones and could discern the outline of every single cell. She saw how everything worked, instinctively knowing what needed to be done to bring all the parts back together and, before anyone could stop her, she lay her hands on the man's broken leg.
None of the bystanders were able to adequately describe what happened next. Within seconds, the area was flooded with energy and the man stopped moaning. He looked with wonder at Alice, his pain gone.
As they all stared in awe, a strange glow moved along the limb. They could clearly see within the glow the bones knitting together, torn blood vessels and nerves reattaching and the skin folding back into position where it fused. There was barely a mark to show that anything had ever happened to the leg.
The man cautiously got off the trolley and stood. He tried walking a few steps and then jumped a little. He hugged the girl who had no idea what she had just done. Then he ran out of the hospital shouting about the new miracle healer.

Alice looked around, everyone was staring at her in stunned silence.
That'll have to be reported to the authorities," one of the senior doctors finally said. "It seems we have a new superhero on our hands."
Last edited by lunawisp on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Warhead

Postby Warhead » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Nice story lunawisp.

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Thank ye kindly ;) That's about as far as I got with my outline. I might flesh it out a little... or maybe not.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Nathan Von Heilm

Postby Nathan Von Heilm » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:56 am

Mine's name is Nathan Von Heilm, he comes from a universe where humans got infected with a deadly virus and they searched other dimensions for materials that can possibly cure it they find dimension 616 which the demons lie and they ravage through the whole word after that the major demons start handing powers to increase their lifetimes one of them is Nathan Von Heilm that gets send to another universe by his friend Wolfgang Bartholomew Mortis that had the abilities to do portals.
His goal is to go back to his universe and find out what happened to his friend and to his world.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:01 am

here is the start of my Toon's backstory

My hero ancestry started back in the Rikti war zone where the first Rikti ship was brought down by Statesman ... I was told and who am I to questions that .
That is where our ancestral mother Rachel got irritated by that ships radiation just after conceiving our Great-ancestral-Grand-Father "EULB".

After gestation she brought forth a male child, that was born breach. Her husban Philip, became aware that the child's skin was not turning the normal pink , so he named that child BLUE for the color and backwards for the birth.

As our grate-ancestral-father " Eulb " grew up under constant attacks from Rikti he discovered through a inventive technique of forging that he could combine some of the Rikti metal with an element ( don't ask it's a Family secret ) into a sward that the crystalline structure would hold together stronger than Stainless steel and with a hardness that it could rival that of Diamonds ...and because of that it stayed so sharp that it could cut through any metal known to man ... at that time, ... with ease.

With insight Grate-ancestor Eulb put all of the family assets into the " FHS "ships building projects ... so securing a place for our family to continue the adventure into space on the FHS Justice.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:06 pm

My main Character Golden Ace's backstory.

I do hope we have the chance to have backstories in our character profiles. nothing super long but a bit longer than what CoH had.

modified slightly to get rid of a few CoH references.

Miles Church was raised within Humanities last foothold on a devastated Earth, The Enclave. The Enclave was surrounded by an impenetrable force field that was the first successful use of “MysTec” the Unification of High Level Magic and Quantum Science. Thousands lost their lives buying the time needed for the Shield to come on line. The aliens were stopped at the Shield, humanity was safe. Using the new Technology armor was designed for a counterattack. Years later when Miles became of age he joined the defense force and volunteered to test the prototype armor. Miles quickly flew through the ranks. When the armor was perfected Miles was given the call sign “Golden”. Humanities Counterattack began. Miles was the first to earn the title Ace, and was promoted to Captain during the counterattack. After years of combat the aliens were finally being pushed off planet, however it was discovered the aliens had invented a time travel device and were sending an elite squadron back in time to in order to correct what went wrong with their Invasion. Miles was able to stop them but was thrown centuries back in time. Miles, now stranded in the present, is now striving to protect humanity and prevent his future from happening as the hero “Golden Ace”.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:23 pm

My main Character Golden Ace's backstory.

Hello and welcome aboard Golden Ace! I agree, I really enjoy reading the back stories, thank you for posting yours. I am looking forward to battling with you in the future. :D
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Return to “Fan Creations & Roleplay”