Writing thread

JestersGhost

Writing thread

Postby JestersGhost » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:48 am

I wrote this for the CoH fiction competition, and while some bits make me wince a bit these days it's still readable:

http://cruise.deviantart.com/art/City-o ... l-35262047

Anyone else want to share their character fiction?
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

Darth Delicious

Re: Writing thread

Postby Darth Delicious » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:44 am

A fellow writer! Image. *settles down again*

Nicely written JestersGhost Image.
*laughs* I always flinch when I read back my old stories. I guess it's a sign we progressed in the mean time, right? Image.

I have been writing about my main characters back in the day, but I'm not feeling confident enough to share 'm. (English is not my first language, you see.)
I did a bit of RP-ing too and based some of the stories on those adventures. Was fun to do Image.
Perhaps one day I'll share some, when I've rewritten the stuff Image.

But yay for writers! Image
Don't say everything you know, but do know everything you say.

Flagwaver

Postby Flagwaver » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:49 am

Writers of the world unite! There will be coffee, tea, snacks, and people to set them in front of you while you write so you don't accidentally die from starvation or dehydration.

I'm already working on a backstory for my character using my City of Heroes character and backstory as a jumping off point.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A bullet may have a name on it, but 20 pounds of C4 is more of a "to whom it may concern."

Darth Delicious

Postby Darth Delicious » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:46 am

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:59 pm

Hmmm I wonder if anyone here would be willing to take a look at my novel? I got some peer reviews and am in the middle of rewriting it into 2 novels, but I would love to hear some feedback.

I'm a big boy, if you don't like something, feel free to tell me. Like I said, after a couple of peer reviews I am already rewriting. This version is with Davon dying, I fixed that in then next rewrite.

This is a superhero novel, btw. And btw, It is also rather... racy. Be ready! One of the girls that reviewed an early version said I was being too mamby pamby about the, er, encounters. So I livened it up a bit. I would definitely label some parts mature!

I'm putting this up on WattPad, when I get done I will relink it.
Last edited by GladDog on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:14 pm

love learning about you guys DeeDee english is 2nd language ( very interesting ) and GladDog has a novel way cool.... looking for more to enjoy....
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Darth Delicious

Postby Darth Delicious » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:24 am

@GladDog: I'm sorry to say I don't have time at the moment to proofread as I'm working on my own (non-superhero, but fantasy) novel.
I can, however, tell you, that the link needs permission. I think, to keep things safe, you should gather the emails of your proofreaders and then give them permission to see the folder the novel is in.

@Eulb, Image. Well, I can make it more complicated (and perhaps impressive) too. :P. Frisian is my first language, though I can't really write in that language properly. I can read it though. Dutch is my second language. I speak it (though with a Frisian accent) and write it. It's also the language in which I'm writing my novel. And English is my third language. I speak and write it (with several accents it seems Image), though my grammar and vocabulary need work. I also speak a little German, I understand it better though Image. Multilingual for the win! Image

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:49 am

I'm not looking for proofreading, just impressions. I'm in the middle of a huge rewrite, when I'm done with that THEN I will be looking for proofreaders! :D

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:04 pm

@deedee
Your posts in your "third" language are more articulate than many people that claim English as their first. Your novels in a more native tongue, I imagine, flow fairly eloquently.

-Griff

Darth Delicious

Postby Darth Delicious » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:08 am

Image Thank you Griff!

I guess growing up watching A LOT of MacGyver is a good way to learn English Image.
I recommend it to everyone! Image Image

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:13 pm

GladDog - happy to take a look, as long you don't have any expectations of deadlines :)

Used to run a speculative-fiction web-zine thing for a while, so like to think I have something useful to say :P
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:50 pm

GladDog - happy to take a look, as long you don't have any expectations of deadlines :)

Used to run a speculative-fiction web-zine thing for a while, so like to think I have something useful to say :P
OK, PM me your email address and I will send it. I'm going to save the public showing until part one is finished. Regrettably the rewrite with the hero that dies in the end living (the idea I came up with to save him was awesome! ;) ) was lost to a failed jump drive...

My rewrite is to divide it into two novels and turn part one into more of a mystery theme, with the main heroine's parents not revealed as the villains until the very end of part one. Part two will be the invasion, with more emphasis on the heroes getting prepared.

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:55 pm

ok DeeDee color me impressed im honnered to know you
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Darth Delicious

Postby Darth Delicious » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:45 am

Look at us making friends already....and there is not even a game yet! Image

Postby Avatar PDM » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:59 am

nice work here :)
Sorry I don´t have anything to share with you, since by now I just wrote poems in english and my novel (Fantasy/SF/Superhero-Universe) is in german. If somebody is fluent with that - no problem, I used to start a novel for my Super Group in CoH; when they shut it down I have to admit I couldn´t delete it but it also was to depressing to go on with it. Well, I guess I will start writing about the Ship eventually and hope, that it stays online long enough ;)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Return to “Fan Creations & Roleplay”