Be Honest - COH comic book

Re: Be Honest - COH comic book

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am

I got the first dozen or so of the comics but missed out on the others. I also got the two {3?] novels that were written. I enjoyed all of what I read.

As to a comic or book series for SOH...? I've been burned out of comics by what I consider poor writing from Marvel and DC and now only read manga that I can get from Amazon or my local Barnes and Noble, so I wouldn't go to a comic book shop to pick up a SOH comic book.

However, why not do a weekly or 2-3 times a week colored adventure strip here on the SOH website? After a certain number of pages [90-200+] collect them into a book that could be sold through SOH website, Amazon and regular bookstore outlets.

SOH could even have some types of contests and the winners would get their characters involved in the adventure strip. That is probably a fantasy that can't come true because there would probably be all sorts of legal ownership and payment problems as well as the winners having to work with the writer to get their character's personalities and actions down in a way that the players would enjoy.

Or maybe less legal hassle and easier, just having a PC's image used in the strip for a few panels. So if the strip is currently running the "Adventures of City Herogirl", she could wave to Blue Boltman, the PC, as she files or runs by and yell out something like "Great Job taking down those out of control robots, Blue Boltman!" and him yelling back, "Thanks!" while City Herogirl continues on her way to her next adventure. Or First Aid Girl, the PC, shows up as City Herogirl lies on the verge of unconsciousness from a fight she is in, and says "Let me help you, City Herogirl." Heals her and wishes her well in fighting the big bad monster that knocked her halfway across the city.

I think a lot of players would love to have that kind of "eternal" gaming fame. I know I would love it and brag to all my friends and family that a character I made appeared in a comic strip/comic book even if only for a few panels.

Something to consider.
well, I did not generally vote for a SoH comic book I just mentioned because, that if this thought ever arises it has to be planned carefully because of the exact reason you got away from that. Of course it could be published in various ways - for example as a online comic as you brought it up. But I believe that this is (if the question ever arises at all) way down the road and won´t be a question for the next 10 years or so, since there is the priority on the game.

About the integration of fans in some kind of contest I actually don´t think that this is a good idea, because in things like that you make one person happy and a lot of people unhappy or even discouraged or frustrated - so I do believe that the company would lose more than they would gain out of that. I mean just think about it, you put in a lot of effort and finally you put your dreams into it and eventually you will realize your dreams are not good enough or your talent is not seen as worthy being published - that could shatter a persons self esteem or discourage him chasing those dreams in the worst case.
And it is also a hard position for the Company. I mean, of course it sounds nice having your own character viewed somewhere but who is it the Devs should choose and how should they react to those whom they do not take?

I think, sure a few short stories are easier to shoulder than a comic series (why I would have been against it) but for the benefit of harmony I would use the existing characters and going deeper into their lore and not picking somebodies created character.
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Cpt_Media

Postby Cpt_Media » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:06 pm

I honestly did not care too much about the comic book. I thought it was a fun and clever thing when it was free, and it made me feel more like 'part of the gang', but when they started charging I never really considered keeping up with it. The reason is a little hard to really express, but the comic book was pushing 'their' world and 'their 'heroes' - which were not that important to me. They just felt manufactured for the game, instead of the stuff that happened to me in the game, and the people I spent time with and felt were the important ones.

Yes, I know you HAVE to have manufactured heroes and content for such a game, but it always made me wish they had used a bunch more 'anonymous figures to start with, and replaced them with stuff that had more spontaneously grown up in the game itself. which, yes I know, is much harder to do. But all good things are. It just always seemed like the created super-duper heroes they wrote about were very far flung from my own adventures and the folks I saw around the place. They were not 'my stores'.

So yeah, they were a clever gimmick, but in the long run I probably would have happier had they actually mail me a real badge I had earned once in a while.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:37 pm

You know I never really thought about it until you expressed it Cpt_Media. The game wasn't about, Statesman, War Witch, or any of the others. the Game was about my Hero. the rest were just supporting characters.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:43 am

that actually is an interesting thought you two had, which would really make a difference to all the other approaches so far:

Why not having (if it really would happen) a comic book which has the characters of players (after introducing the game intern heroes - that still is interesting) meaning after a while the Devs could reward the long time players and loyal gamers (or whatever we might take as a reason) by using their character for a little comic storyline and they could include the community even more by making events where players could offer stories (possibly the winner would get his own as reward and motivation - I am sure that would lead to great creativity and quality).

So if it ever would be considered having a bigger story arc - there would be a great number of background which has its roots in the players :)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Sincereagape

Postby Sincereagape » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:05 pm

The comic with War Witch, Apex, and the other guy was fun. I liked how it explored the enemy groups in the game like the 5th and the Vahz.

The Top Cow comics with Statesman not so much...

Postby Avatar PDM » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:11 pm

yep - heroes are always only as good as their opponents :D

Return to “Fan Creations & Roleplay”