Be Honest - COH comic book

Eulb

Re: Be Honest - COH comic book

Postby Eulb » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:43 pm

Blue Yankee ty for you post ...
Thank goodness my wife plans to play SOH with me (COH was her only video game).
That is very welcome news Blue Yankee and when i shared it with Penniguin she was ecstatic :D :D :D
the more couples that play to gather the better...
Let the bright stars ahead guide your journey

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Codex you said in you post ...
This is how I get around it. I name one of my characters after her so I can go with "I'm thinking of you when I play".
some what similer story with my wife i just asked her to ... "Just make a female toon honey ..." and well that hooked her big time ... during COH time she played more than me ... when she went to EQ2 , yes played more than me ... we have been playing " Project Gorgon " again she plays more than me ... When the " Ship " launches i'll have to stay ahead of her any way i can ... ;)

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:29 am

Codex you said in you post ...
This is how I get around it. I name one of my characters after her so I can go with "I'm thinking of you when I play".
some what similer story with my wife i just asked her to ... "Just make a female toon honey ..." and well that hooked her big time ... during COH time she played more than me ... when she went to EQ2 , yes played more than me ... we have been playing " Project Gorgon " again she plays more than me ... When the " Ship " launches i'll have to stay ahead of her any way i can ... ;)
good luck with that ;)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

Blue Yankee

Postby Blue Yankee » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:26 pm

...you enjoyed the COH comic book runs that came with your COH subscription, don't lie.

Even though I was too old, I enjoyed ever panel.

My only regret is that I threw them away before I got married - can't let the wife know all my secrets. Why didn't I keep those!?!?!
This made me laugh.

That is the greatest idea ever!

This is how I get around it. I name one of my characters after her so I can go with "I'm thinking of you when I play". So if you see me running around with a female character named Kristen, you don't have to ask if I am really a girl or a guy playing a female character.

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:57 am

...you enjoyed the COH comic book runs that came with your COH subscription, don't lie.

My only regret is that I threw them away before I got married - can't let the wife know all my secrets. Why didn't I keep those!?!?!
This made me laugh.

This is how I get around it. I name one of my characters after her so I can go with "I'm thinking of you when I play". So if you see me running around with a female character named Kristen, you don't have to ask if I am really a girl or a guy playing a female character.
So much for the "be honest" topic ;)
What is Reality, what a Dream? Is the dream changing your reality or is the reality defining your dreams? Only one being aware, that awareness can never be complete can use both to become the best possible and combine both to form the future! PDM

DeckaStar

Postby DeckaStar » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:33 am

This made me laugh.

Making a character based upon your wife is a good idea, I think. My wife is mor into the fantasy style games so I don’t expect her to join me here, and all the things she does to keep herself busy in real life. Will probably make a character after one of her other chars.

Vertigo Blue

Postby Vertigo Blue » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Oh man, this thread... :shock: :lol:

About the comics, I admit I've never read them. /shrug I was more into playing the game itself. Did they give the game more depth/enrich the experience story-wise?

Roles reversed here. As far as getting my partner to play, he's more the Eve Online type, though I'm sure if he sees me playing SoH he'll join in on occasion.

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:09 pm

About the comics, I admit I've never read them. /shrug I was more into playing the game itself. Did they give the game more depth/enrich the experience story-wise?
Not that I ever noticed.
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Eulb

Postby Eulb » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:16 pm

DeckaStar you posted ...
Making a character based upon your wife is a good idea, I think. My wife is mor into the fantasy style games so I don’t expect her to join me here, and all the things she does to keep herself busy in real life. Will probably make a character after one of her other chars.
Kept up the hope ... about your wife playing ... she may find it funner than you may think ...
Don't forget to introduce your self in the " Who Were You in City of Heroes? " section ... and what toons you created and on what server
we all love to know ... :D

Postby Avatar PDM » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:50 am

Roles reversed here. As far as getting my partner to play, he's more the Eve Online type, though I'm sure if he sees me playing SoH he'll join in on occasion.
well, that one is hard to answer, since it is definitely interesting, seeing those NPCs you only saw standing around somewhere most of the times (and knowing they are some kind of legends) actually being in action, is kind of interesting.
But on the other hand for the game itself I didn´t feel, that it gave me any extra feel knowing those stories, because I concentrated on my own (and my friends) legend anyway.
Still I am glad, they made it, because you actually saw those powers of the legends of CoH in a way you couldn´t see them in the game, though the stories could have been better - but well, isn´t that always the case ;)?

Kai

Postby Kai » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:47 pm

I liked, and still have, Blue King's initial run with War Witch. After that, the plots got a bit stupid and well....frankly, most the art was terrible in my opinion :/

brandoncomputer

Postby brandoncomputer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 pm

I thought the first run of the COH comics was alright, but not great, and the later ones after the second company took over were rotten. I thought it was a really novel ideal, but might have been less of an expense to maybe have a once a year graphic novel release ~ like maybe a 90 pager where the content developer developed the skeletal structure for the story - rather than licensing to a third party for a monthly release with a murky wellspring, I mean without working with a content developer it's hard to determine storyline and character intent...

Golden Ace

Postby Golden Ace » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:09 pm

I thought the first run of the COH comics was alright, but not great, and the later ones after the second company took over were rotten. I thought it was a really novel ideal, but might have been less of an expense to maybe have a once a year graphic novel release ~ like maybe a 90 pager where the content developer developed the skeletal structure for the story - rather than licensing to a third party for a monthly release with a murky wellspring, I mean without working with a content developer it's hard to determine storyline and character intent...

This. an annual magazine would be great. it could follow the story line etc. or follow an upcoming storyline.

Throw in a few random heroes too.

Glad you started posting brandoncomputer. :D
♪ Sometimes you feel like a Tank, Sometimes you don't! ♫

All Ship of Heroes Videos

IN BLACKEST DAY, IN BRIGHTEST NIGHT,
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE.
LET THOSE WHO POST THEIR SPAM-ISH SLIGHT
FACE THE POWER OF ACE'S MIGHT!

Postby Avatar PDM » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:28 am

This. an annual magazine would be great. it could follow the story line etc. or follow an upcoming storyline.

Throw in a few random heroes too.

Glad you started posting brandoncomputer. :D
since you two brought it up - lets do some brainstorming ;)

So do I get it right that the question might be, if a comic is something which is good or not good for a MMO world, right?

Well, as mentioned the thought itself is not a bad thought at all - it can be a huge plus to let players dive deeper into the world and give them the chance to learn about the major NPCs and the world itself. It also helps players building up a relationship with the major players, which otherwise are just something being around. To make it clear, Statesman and those heroes meant nothing to me, they were just standing around, sometimes helping a bit bat mostly I had to swallow, that they are big heroes, without really knowing and caring why! That is something a Comic can change!

The question then is, how some project like that look like? And I agree the 2nd run wasn´t something to remember and I also agree that it looks like CoH tried to much with a full scale Comic Series.
I do believe the max should be limited Series Versions.
Graphic Novels to introduce major characters (like for example Statesman at CoH)
A Mini Series (4 parts) could introduce a major team or a Milestone in the worlds history!
A Maxi Series (8 parts maybe) could introduce the world itself - going way back to the beginning which was a defining part

With a concept like that I think the risk would have been minimal, it would have been an addition to the lore, which would have given players an understanding, why those guys were so special and therefore could have that goose bumbs feeling when meeting and fighting alongside them
But I would not go too far with all that lore part, because if one defines history to narrow it also limits the possibilites of the players. Still for example, if that would be a thought for this one - the war, which made mankind going to the stars and there first years of struggle until the ships had their standing and made their way would be such a milestone, which I could picture :)

But of course we all know, that is not what happened and CoH did have an idea, but did not understand how to combine players and readers the right way, as I feel it

Major Victory

Postby Major Victory » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:13 am

I got the first dozen or so of the comics but missed out on the others. I also got the two {3?] novels that were written. I enjoyed all of what I read.

As to a comic or book series for SOH...? I've been burned out of comics by what I consider poor writing from Marvel and DC and now only read manga that I can get from Amazon or my local Barnes and Noble, so I wouldn't go to a comic book shop to pick up a SOH comic book.

However, why not do a weekly or 2-3 times a week colored adventure strip here on the SOH website? After a certain number of pages [90-200+] collect them into a book that could be sold through SOH website, Amazon and regular bookstore outlets.

SOH could even have some types of contests and the winners would get their characters involved in the adventure strip. That is probably a fantasy that can't come true because there would probably be all sorts of legal ownership and payment problems as well as the winners having to work with the writer to get their character's personalities and actions down in a way that the players would enjoy.

Or maybe less legal hassle and easier, just having a PC's image used in the strip for a few panels. So if the strip is currently running the "Adventures of City Herogirl", she could wave to Blue Boltman, the PC, as she files or runs by and yell out something like "Great Job taking down those out of control robots, Blue Boltman!" and him yelling back, "Thanks!" while City Herogirl continues on her way to her next adventure. Or First Aid Girl, the PC, shows up as City Herogirl lies on the verge of unconsciousness from a fight she is in, and says "Let me help you, City Herogirl." Heals her and wishes her well in fighting the big bad monster that knocked her halfway across the city.

I think a lot of players would love to have that kind of "eternal" gaming fame. I know I would love it and brag to all my friends and family that a character I made appeared in a comic strip/comic book even if only for a few panels.

Something to consider.

Return to “Fan Creations & Roleplay”