What kind of power you are hoping to see or want to suggest?

Christopher Robin

Re: What kind of power you are hoping to see or want to suggest?

Postby Christopher Robin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 am

I'm a speed reader and decently fast typist is all. Image

Penniguin

Postby Penniguin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:49 am

Wow Christopher Robin, very impressive drawing!
I am gonna need to stop for coffee before we head out for the battle. 8-)

Fireheart

Postby Fireheart » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

With a friend of mine, I made one of a pair of twin FF/Energy Defenders, that we then played hyper-aggressively. Fast, furious, and Reveling in the KB. Used it sweep baddies off each other. Just had to stop every several minutes to recover endurance and refresh the bubbles. Still remember Ragdolling a Boss into a pretzel, where he got Stuck in his own limbs and couldn't stand, so we proceeded to murderize him unmercifully. :)

Good times.

Be Well!
Fireheart

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:56 pm

.............................. some kind of celestial/light/holy power would be cool. Darkness powers to mirror that, of course.
It's interesting (a bit telling?) you didn't say "some kind of abyssal/darkness/evil powers to mirror that" ;)
If any dev is reading this, and taking the ideas expressed into consideration, I would suggest
that only the middle options are viable i.e. generic light and darkness. It's never
a good idea to introduce overt religion (or politics for that matter)
into an MMO whereas themes of light and darkness are
universal in storytelling and character creation.
Oh, I totally agree. I guess I should have been more clear there, I was using those words just to describe a generic style of power I'd like to see. So the power would be light-based, not specifically holy or celestial. I threw those in to give some conceptual understanding.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Knock back was incredibly useful used in the right way. One of my mains was an ill/storm 'troller and used knockback quite a lot.

A lightning cloud dropped low to the ground over the ranged squishies helped keep random enemies from heading in that direction, and then I'd use Gale to blow enemies back in towards the tanker if they tried to run. Of course I had a lot of knockup/down too - whirlwind, psychic whirlwind, phantom army and freezing rain all contributed to keep enemies helplessly airborne for almost all the fight.

I'd love a decent illusion powerset of some kind. Even an auxillary powerset based around tricks or magic effect would be cool.
[ quantum sufficit / casual-tempest.net / My Combat Mechanics Thread ]

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Knockback sucked for melee. If there was a way to toggle between knockdown and knockback for powersets that use it, that would be awesome! Energy Blast in particular would have been helped a lot with such a switch.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:26 pm

It was added, belatedly I believe. But yes, having a power that knocked enemies out of your attack range was not one the better aspects of early CoH gameplay.

Fireheart

Postby Fireheart » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:35 am

What I miss from CoH is big solid, long-lasting Control powers. In other games, controls last for times measured in single-digit seconds, or even partial seconds. CoH control powers had durations measured in significant portions of a minute. It was practical, effective, and Necessary to stack multiple controls on a target to do significant damage, true, but if you didn't master your control-cycle, you could be turned to paste. So it was a balanced system.

True, a well-run Controller could complete missions with significant security - they'd practically never be touched. However, this either took forever, due to low DPS, or it required a good team.

Be Well!
Fireheart

Taivas

Postby Taivas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 am

What I miss from CoH is big solid, long-lasting Control powers. In other games, controls last for times measured in single-digit seconds, or even partial seconds. CoH control powers had durations measured in significant portions of a minute. It was practical, effective, and Necessary to stack multiple controls on a target to do significant damage, true, but if you didn't master your control-cycle, you could be turned to paste. So it was a balanced system.

True, a well-run Controller could complete missions with significant security - they'd practically never be touched. However, this either took forever, due to low DPS, or it required a good team.

Be Well!
Fireheart
Great point. My Grav/Kin Controller spent a lot of time standing back with a smile at the level of... control he had. Kinetics helped boost the damage, recharge and endurance issues somewhat. The AT was named very aptly, a Controller should indeed be able to control.

JestersGhost

Postby JestersGhost » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 am

They only need to last that long if it takes that long to kill something :P

I really struggled playing a controller solo because of how long it took to defeat anything (and that's playing ill/*). I would happily have traded shorter control duration for the ability to kill things quicker.

Why yes, my main villain was a dominator. Why do you ask? :P

GladDog

Postby GladDog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:40 am

I had a LOT more fun playing Dominators than Controllers. The SoH devs have even hinted that the 'Controller' AT may be more like a Dominator. Of course, nothing is written in stone right now, but that is a REALLY REALLY good idea in my mind. When they introduce the Controller and the Commander, there won't be any overlap. The Controller will be ferociously using mez at the same time as the Commander is sending in the pets. And if the bad guys break past the mez, the Controller will have the ranged DPS to keep the situation under control.

This makes perfect sense since the Devastator will likely be more like a Corruptor than a Blaster. A team with a Devastator will already have an off-healer, and the Controller can focus on what he does best.
IN BRIGHTEST DAY, OR DARKEST NIGHT
NO SPAM SHALL STAY UPON THIS SITE
FOR THOSE THAT FEED THIS EVIL BLIGHT
BEWARE THE PAIN OF GUARD DOG'S BITE!

Malice Johansson

Postby Malice Johansson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:54 pm

I had a LOT more fun playing Dominators than Controllers.
Me too. Though the Controller was my SECOND fave. The Dominator just did loads better on her own than the Controller did. Well, she was faster. Anyway, yes. I'm with you.

edit: I would love to see my Earth/Earth Dom and my Plant/Time Controller be something I could replicate or simulate, but new powers are also great.

On the new power front, I'd love to see some sort of 'hard light' or 'hard sound' power like Dr. Light, Green Lantern, Songbird, or even the Darkness, Aqualad or Fathom (with supernatural darkness and water, respectively).

Superspeed as more than just a travel power.

Something where I can explode. But y'know...I get better.

Hmmm...I'll have to think on that one.

kondospl

Postby kondospl » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:10 pm

I hope to see Mental Abilities, with Controller/Commander Archetype.

Tsu

Postby Tsu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:08 pm

My biggest favorite was storm - obviously :) Being able to knock them back, pop down a lightning cloud for extra damage, then juggling those O2 heals to keep my team topped up was a joy.

I also really loved the electric epic powers - running in and draining all the endurance out of big packs of enemies, and leaving them vulnerable to the team to take out. Ah, good times...

lunawisp

Postby lunawisp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:45 pm

My fire/rad controller was a bit overpowered tbh. Radiation weakened the mobs then fire locked them in place and burned them down. Was fun to play though. Even had heals for itself and others. A fantastic little solo build that was, but also useful in teams :)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes - she lives on in memory as my gaming id.
https://www.heroesin.space/ - A Blog About Super Heroes and Spaceships

Return to “Fan Creations & Roleplay”